what can i do to keep myself from going absolutely INSANE when my 6 yr old son just absolutely wont stop whining about everything?

He just makes up stuff to whine about, some of it i dont even understand and just keeps going on and on about same thing for hours

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on May. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i have a 2 yr old doing that im about to loose it BIG TIME
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on May. 17, 2009

• If my son throws a fit (he's 4 and this is my problem), I tell him he can do that in his room but not around us in the house, because it's unacceptable. I would think the same for whining. I would also answer- like if your son said, "can I go outside?" and the answer is "no" because it's bedtime, the next time he asked, I would say something like, "I told you no, I won't argue" and if it goes on, he goes in time out.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:14 AM on May. 17, 2009

• EVERYTIME MY TWIN GIRL'S START WHINNING I MAKE THEM SIT..THE GIRLS WILL BE 4 NEXT WEEK..IF THEY GET UP AND WHIN AGAIN THEY GO RIGHT BACK TO THE TIME OUT..THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR MONTHS BUT IS GETTING BETTER...
    TAMMSTWINS

Answer by TAMMSTWINS at 10:17 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My dd used to do that. Still does occasionally. It went way beyond whining though. She would cry over everything. I just let her know that I can't understand her when she is whining/crying and tell her to go cool off in her room. When she can come talk to me in a big girl voice then we'll talk and see if we can figure out the problem.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:41 PM on May. 17, 2009

• i have a 6 year old that wines a lot as well, i know how you feel lol. you could try this, this is what i do. take a deep breath in then let it out and bare with em. try to listen to see if its something you can resolve and if not then try to get him to forget about it by changing the subject on to something he likes, like for example my son loves to draw so i would say "you know what how about we draw a picture together, come on lets go" then hurry up and leave the room. remember this old saying "out of sight out of mind" it works. :-). good luck! i hope you try it, tell me how it worked out for you.
    mzfeenix09

Answer by mzfeenix09 at 4:32 PM on May. 17, 2009

• When my son whines he is ignored. We let him know we don't listen to whiny children and if he needs to tell us something he needs to use his normal voice. If he continues he goes to time out until he is ready to quit whining. After 30 minutes in time out two days in a row he quit whining.
    Anonymous

• when we whined at my house... we "got something to whine about".... pretty much we got our ass spanked. it worked. we stopped whining.
    EricaMarieElli

Answer by EricaMarieElli at 7:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I used to first give an exaggerated example of whining. Then I would talk in a normal tone of voice. I told my kids if they would like to have a conversation with me then needed to talk normally. Then I would tell them if they couldn't talk normally on their own and control it I would turn my ears off until they could. It works. By the way, the ear switch is on your pinkie finger. Just bend it once. :)

SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:30 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My friend just recommended to me a discipline book called "1,2,3 Magic" -- When they whine, you're supposed to say "That's 1" if they do it again "That's 2" Third time "That's 3" and they're sent to their room for however many minutes their age is. -- The idea is to cut it off before it becomes an argument -- and in this case it removes him from the room where you don't have to hear him whine anymore -- And every time when he whines give him That's 1,2,3 and send him away -- eventually he'll get the message to check the behavior - My friend said it worked great for her!! It works on my 6 year odl but the 2 year old hasn't grasped it entirely yet.

I host a mom blog in Atlanta where we discuss dilemmas like this -- check us out at blogs.ajc.com/momania
    ajcMOMania

Answer by ajcMOMania at 10:17 AM on May. 18, 2009

• this always works on my part...if he goes into tantrums, grab him by the arm a bit fiercely, then tell him/her that he will get a good spanking right then and there if he does not stop...
    lilac19

Answer by lilac19 at 11:13 AM on May. 18, 2009