New poll shows that for the first time a majority of Americans call themselves Pro-life. Why?

I saw an interesting article on MSNBC.com that showed that for the first time a majority of Americans consider themselves pro-life rather than pro-choice. I just wonder, why now all of a sudden does their seem to be a sudden shift in sentiment. Any thoughts?

Here is the link.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30771408/

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 10:13 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It would make more sense after constant viewing of the fool we have in office, more people woud be Pro-Abortion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Because more women and men are seeing that a heartbeat can be seen at 5 weeks!!! A HB means LIFE. A LIFE that is being extinguished with no CHOICE of it's own!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:19 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Maybe people are beginning to VALUE life and realize that everyone has a purpose and deserves their chance at life. Even a tiny baby who cannot speak yet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I am Pro-Life. I believe Americans are just now learning what it means. They like NOT to think about it.

By the way, Obama passed a law stating that a child wanting an abortion could do so without consulting or even telling her parents.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:23 AM on May. 17, 2009

• The shift, while small, is significant. I don't know the reason behind it. However, the extremism on either side is about equal, 23% say it should be illegal under any circumstances, and 22% think it should be legal under any circumstances. There is a lot of gray area in between.

By the way, Obama does NOT pass laws, he signs them into laws, CONGRESS passes laws.

And as of April 30, Obama said that Abortion rights law NOT a priority, Here's a link:
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/marketsNewsUS/idUKN2946642020090430

Obama has yet to do anything concerning abortions in this country.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:36 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I think people were OK (for the most part) with the Hyde Ammendment. Enter a President who has said on numerous occasions it should be repealed and now people are taking a more Conservative stance in regards to how their tax dollars are spent.
    Also, spending money on international clinics who counsel and perform abortions at a time when this nation is borrowing nearly $.50 for every dollar~ Americans don't want their tax dollars spent like that.
    Finally, I also believe there is a growing # of Americans who are concerned with the slippery slope of technology. More research allows for "Selective Abortions", Selective Abortions allow for a greater opportunity to make medical life altering decisions/treatment based on selfish ideals.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:55 AM on May. 17, 2009

awesome answer..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:15 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Personally, I've long felt that Americans would change their attitude regarding abortion and I think this is the first sign. Like another poster mentioned, even though it's only 51% who state they are pro-life it is still a significant shift. In all previous polls, only about 51-52% identified as being pro-choice. I believe that the reason for this is 3-D ultrasound. When my daughter was born 4.5 years ago, 3-D ultrasound was new and was not offered in Doctor's offices. We had to pay for it out of our pocket at a private facility. We had it done during the first trimester, and let me tell you, I don't think anyone could look at something like that and not question the morality of abortion. Now, from what I understand, more doctor's offer 3-D ultrasound and it's becoming more common for women to have one during pregnancy. It's interesting to note that when Roe V. Wade was passed 2-D ultrasound didn't even exist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Ive been prolife all my life. Maybe its because people are opening their eyes and actually understanding what an abortion REALLY is.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:25 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I just love how conservatives make it out the president has control over abortion laws.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 17, 2009