Okay, then, in your opinion what is a myth?

I posted a question last night asking if the bible was a myth. Meaning that it is a traditional or legendary story, concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, esp. one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature. Something that is UNPROVEN accept in the eyes and heart of the believers... I would think that without a doubt everyone can agree on that.

Myth does NOT mean untrue or false. It simply means that like all religion, it's not proven accept to those that follow it.

Why is it that people get so diffencive? Is it that they don't know the true meaning of the word? or that they are simply looking for something to get upset about?

I and many others would be more than willing to admit that out religions are myths in that they are unprooven accept to believers. Why do christians get so upset??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 10:14 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A lot of Christians don't even want to think for a second that the Bible might *not* be true. I think a lot of them are scared.

It takes so much courage to admit that what you believe might not be right. I think it's arrogant to point fingers at everyone and go "I'm right you're wrong neener neener!"
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:16 AM on May. 17, 2009

• The Bible was written by someone...each book in the Bible is written through the eyes of someone as it happened. Like a diary.

On the flip side, why do so many people get upset because they try to prove the Bible DOES NOT exist factually?

It goes both ways....
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:19 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I think it takes courage to put your FAITH in something. Its easy to stand back and say "thats sillly"

I never point fingers and say that I am right and they are wrong. I just let God guide me and my heart. I try to treat others like I would want to be treated.

Sure are lumping a lot of people together in your answer.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:20 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I do have faith in something. I have faith in the gospel of I Don't Know ;D

I think it's wrong to discount all other myths and legends as children's stories, especially the ones that have so many similarities with Christianity. Like Mithra, and Horus. People lived and died by what we now think of as impossible religions, like those that worshiped Zeus and Ra and Thor. What makes them any more impossible than Christianity? Really? Their stories can't be proved any more than the Bible can.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:26 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I am sorry, I wasn't trying to be defensive. I was just giving my opinion. I just don't think the Bible is a collection of mythological strories. When I was thinking about it I thought that I would offend some pagans here if I were to refer to their beliefs as myth as well. Or maybe it wouldn't; the definition above isn't that offensive (the definition of cult isn't offensive either, but many people are offended by the connotation).

I personally use the word when I teach Greek mythology in my Freshmen English class. Some people may believe in Zeus, Cupid, or Medusa, but my students have never once admitted to having an actual faith in those stories; they are generally held as fiction.

I was just saying that despite the definition, the word has negative connotations but I understand that some people do think that the Bible is myth. To an athiest, the Bible is just another cultures story of Zeus, Cupid, and Medusa.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:35 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Oh, and I wasn't upset at all : )

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 10:36 AM on May. 17, 2009

• To me, a myth is something that has a basis in truth but has been altered, added to, or taken from over time. Such as the stories of the Greek/ Roman God(ess)es, King Arthur, Merlin, The Illiad, the Odessey, and yes, the Bible.
    King Arthur, for example, is supposed to have actually existed... however there are 3 different men he could possibly have been, and it's possible the one everyone thinks of is actually a combination of all 3. Merlin is known as a doctor, a prophet, a sorcerer, the son of a king, the son of a demon, Arthur's enemy, his benefactor, and his relative, depending on who is telling the tale.
    A myth is like a big game of telephone... or a snowball that's rolled downhill. It starts out small, but the further it goes the bigger it gets.
    I don't see why the idea that the bible isn't %100 truth is so offensive to some, but then again, I don't believe any of it, so maybe that's why.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 10:46 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My point with this post and the last is that ALL RELIGIONS are myth. ALL RELIGIONS are unprooven accept in the eyes of believers. And therefore being a religion so is Christianity, Paganism, Buddism and any others.

The Giant Squid, was a myth. It turned out to be 100% true. But until it was prooven it was a myth. Religion is the same way. If there were a religion that was not myth we would all follow it because there would be no questions about it's legitity.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:14 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Fact of the matter is, all religions are based on myths and theories. None of it can be proven. No one knows what happens after death. (Except maybe zombies, but they won't tell). My beliefs are based on science, and I still can't say for sure what happens after death. I only have my theories.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:17 AM on May. 17, 2009

• As an amateur student of myths and legends, I think christians associate those two words with the word "lie". Their view is a narrow one. Mythology survives because it is more interesting with the bigger-than-life exaggerations it includes. I know that the Jews consider much of the O.T. to be historical and some of it MAY be. But some of it is also unbelievable. The christians consider the existence of Jesus to be historical, but when his "miracles" start getting too extreme, he starts to sound more like mythology--or Chris Angel's magic tricks. Few writings--expecially religious ones--are completely true and unbiased.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:48 PM on May. 17, 2009