What everyone should know about antibiotics!!! Posted in Kids Health section as well.

My daughter has been on antibiotics pretty much since she was born... every time she is sick they throw a perscription at us. I am a young mother and didn't really think much about it until recently... but lately I've started to worry about her getting too much antibiotics. So I just did some research and found out that at least twice now they have put her on antibiotics when she most likely did not need them!! I blindy listened to my doctor and did excactly what I was told to do... but I am done being ignorant and possible harming my child just becuase the doctor that is suppose to know whats best to do is an idiot... Just thought I'd post the article about when antibiotics are and aren't neseccary in case any other moms have been tricked into doing the same thing I was.... http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antibiotics/FL00075/NSECTIONGROUP=2

mrsbvader

Asked by mrsbvader at 10:15 AM on May. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• great post.
    My Ds's first pediatrician was throwing antibiotics at us like that, so we ended up switching and his new dr. is great. He believes in letting things run their course, since most things dont need an antibiotic. Now my son only gets one if he has an infection.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:25 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I have only put my kids on them when they had ear infections, never for anything else. They aren't necessary. A fever is the body fighting off germs or whatever, so I don't medicate it just watch it, give lots of fluids, and make sure it doesn't get too high (then I do have motrin or tyenol in the cupboard) but I let nature do it's THANG.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:32 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Glad you brought this up. There are a lot of people out there who don't understand that antibiotics are not always a good thing. My DD has only been on them three times. Twice after surgeries at low doses and once for a raging ear infection. I myself do not take them unless we've tried everything else to get rid of the infection, with the exception of the infection in c-section for which I DEMANDED antibiotics b/c it hurt so bad. ;)
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 10:41 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Lots of doctors will give out antibiotics when they aren't needed. Usually it's to make the parents feel better - so they feel like they are doing something for their child. Sometimes it's simply to make the parent shut up and go away - the mom who keeps demanding "something" for the sniffles. Many doctors will also hand out the newest, latest, "greatest" druges first instead of sticking to the older ones - which adds to MRSA type problems and inscreases the risk to the child since the side-effects of the drugs are still being discovered.
    They usually aren't even necessary for ear infections. Several studies have found that kids that don't get antibiotics get better just as quickly as kids who do. But those studies are fairly new and most doctors still just hand out the meds.
    My doctor pretty much insists on doing a culture before prescribing antibiotics. If it's not a bacterial infection, he won't give out a prescription.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:46 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Like I posted in the other question, I have never taken my children to a doctor who gave antibiotics when they weren't necessary and they've seen probably 20-30 doctors in their lifetimes so far (we're miltiary so we don't get to see the same doctor all the time).
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:42 AM on May. 17, 2009

• This isn't a new phenomenon. It was like that when I was a kid, too. Every time I was sick, no matter what it was, I got penicillin. By the time I was 10 I was allergic. I broke out in hives all over my body.

My kids have never been on antibiotics except when my middle daughter had eye surgery at 18 months. Last month she cut her foot on a piece of glass outside. We took her to urgent care where they cleaned it up (we weren't sure if there was glass embedded or not). She didn't need stitches or anything. They gave us a prescription for antibiotics but we never even filled it. She had no fever and no redness around the cut. It healed fine in a few days on it's own.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:28 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I completely agree. Doctors do throw antibiotics at us like candy, and a lot of parents think they are the only answer to an illness. Like previous posts said, fever is there for a reason. It is the body's natural way to fight the disease, and we should let it run its course.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:22 PM on May. 17, 2009