My son is graduating 8th grade, what are some good ideas for a gift??

danalee11

Asked by danalee11 at 10:19 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• laptop if he uses it in plain view of you (not alone in his room)
    a basketball hoop if he doesn't have one
    camping trip or fishing trip
    make his fav meal and dessert
    take him to build a house with habitat for humanity
    a gym membership
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:25 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Cute graduation type cookies (boys love to eat) a nice dinner out to celebrate and a cool kid's safe or bank to help him start saving for car, college etc. Put some money inside to get him started.

Here are a couple of safes/banks http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?node=3&page=8

Here are grad supplies if you need  http://astore.amazon.com/www.cjkidzcom4-20?node=29&page=1

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:33 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Theme park tickets if those are within the budget, even better another for a friend. Or talk to a friend's parents and see if they'll get that friend tickets too and then you can take them, or the other parents can, whatever works.
    Try ShareBuilder.com. I use this, it's super easy and fun to invest your money and watch it grow and really sad to watch it leave. Just make sure he knows it's not play money. You can start with as little as $20 I believe.
    A new High School wardrobe. My hubby suggested this one b/c his mom did it for him and he thought is was great.

AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 10:51 AM on May. 17, 2009

• It depends on your budget. We bought our graduating 8th grader a laptop (that will not have internet access in her room).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:26 AM on May. 17, 2009

• IMO:::For an 8th grade graduation, I personally wouldn't go crazy. If it was my son I would feel that it is an accomplishment but he's still got 4 more years to go. I would do a little party for him and his closest friends. A trip to the movies, a cake, a sleep over with pizza. Maybe get him a new video game to play that night. I would tell him that he has done a good job to get that far and I am proud but I would also want to keep his focus on the fact that he's not done yet just hit an awesome milestone.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:16 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Maybe its just me but why would you buy him a gift?
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 4:07 PM on May. 17, 2009

• A computer, a cell phone, and xbox, a trampoline =) When I was in eighth grade my parents got me a computer so I can get the hell off theirs lol.
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 6:15 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I liked the clothing idea but I would tell him let's wait til school's closer since he's prolly growing like a weed right now!!
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:52 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Thanks for all the great ideas :)
    danalee11

Answer by danalee11 at 9:28 AM on May. 19, 2009