What exactly is religious intolerance?

Is it telling an entire group their beliefs are myths? Is it telling an entire group they will go to hell? is it telling an entire group they are wrong?

What is religious tolerance? Is it posting that a sacred book is fiction? Or is it smiling and going your own way and walking with your own beliefs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's telling someone that YOUR way is the only right way... not accepting anyone who doesn't believe as you do. Being concecending and telling people they simply are stupid, ignorant, or don't understand and THAT's why they disagree with you. The inability to step outside of the box and say, "gee, there's a whole world with a bunch of different people in it; maybe I'M the one who is incorrect on this".

Oh, and saying that your deity justifies your right to hate someone. For example: "Being gay is a sin according to god, therefore I hate gays". or "I am an athiest, therefore I hate all religious people."

That is to me, in a nutshell, religious intolerance.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 10:50 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree with Koukla 100%
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Religious intolerance is believing that your beliefs somehow set you above or make you better than those who believe differently. It not disagreeing with or questioning other faiths, but acting superior to others.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 10:56 AM on May. 17, 2009

• ok good, I can say all pagan goddesses are false and not be intolerant then right? just as it ok to say the bible is false...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on May. 17, 2009

• oh and the Koran...it is a myth as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 17, 2009

• *ok good, I can say all pagan goddesses are false and not be intolerant then right? just as it ok to say the bible is false... *

That should be fine, if that's what you believe. Just so long as you don't start ridiculing or mocking the pagans for believing otherwise, and acting as though your belief in the bible vs. their belief in the goddess makes you better than them or more worthy of a happy afterlife.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 10:59 AM on May. 17, 2009

I hope that wasn't directed at me... because I said nothing about anyone calling anyone else's religion "false"... that goes along with telling someone that your way is the only correct one...

I might not believe in the bible personally, but I'll NEVER tell anyone that THEY can't believe in it!
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 11:04 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Religious intolerance is any form of bashing, hate, putting others down, spreading lies, telling someone that their beliefs are wrong or untrue... So, yes telling someone that there gods are false would fall under that category. You should make the statement that "I FEEL pagan goddesses are false." don't state them as fact state it as opinion.

As far as myth. I posted those questions and I did them with a reason. I think there is a huge misunderstanding of the word myth. It doesn't mean untrue, as most people seem to think. It means unprooven. ALL religions fall in to this category. And in fact so do many scientific issues such as evolution. If it's not 100% prooven to believer and non believers alike, it's myth.

The giant squid was a myth, but it turned out to be true, no one is saying that any religion is false, they are simply saying that they are UNPROOVEN!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:11 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I might not believe in the bible personally, but I'll NEVER tell anyone that THEY can't believe in it!

and that makes you a lot more tolerant than many of these other so called tolerant mom. The mom who needed to see this saw and responded so i am closing the question. I only hope you learns from it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Fact of the matter is, all religions are based on myths and theories. None of it can be proven. No one knows what happens after death. (Except maybe zombies, but they won't tell). My beliefs are based on science, and I still can't say for sure what happens after death. I only have my theories.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 11:15 AM on May. 17, 2009