Cough and Congestion in a 13 month old

Yesterday my DD started coughing and she is pretty congested. We have a hunidifier, and I sat with her in the bathroom while the shower was running. I'm just wondering what else I can do. I left a message with the doctor, but since it's not an emergency I probably won't hear back until Monday. Just wondering what to do in the mean time. Thanks.

lvaughn26

Asked by lvaughn26 at 10:55 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Vicks on her chest, use a vaporizer with the vicks medicine and give her a children's decongestant. If she is still in a crib use something to prop the mattress up so it all drains out and now down. Avoid giving her to much milk and juice as it increases mucus causing the congestion to get worse Water down the juice as much as possible and make her drink water after drinking milk if you give it to her.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:03 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Not much I can suggest other than the steam. Actually getting in the shower may be helpful. I find it clears my DD up better to put her in a warm shower rather than just the steam from it. Something with the heat on the body I guess.
    Watch carefully for wheezing, last time DD got congested she had to be on a nebulizer for a couple of days b/c of the wheezing. Kind of a pain, but it cleared up very quickly.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 11:06 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Elevate her when she sleeps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on May. 17, 2009

• They do make Vicks Baby Vapo Rub and when I found that, it was like a God Send! You can also get a Vicks Vapor Steam Humidifier that you can add Vicks to and I agree about elevating the head of the crib, just put a folded blanket under it. Hope this helps.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 11:43 AM on May. 17, 2009