co sleeping mommas i have a question!

I have been sco-sleeping with DD since she was about 3-4 weeks old and she is now 11 mos. When she turns 1 (next month) i plan on starting the "get in your crib" phase but i dont know where to start! What age did you transition your child to his/her own room and how did you do it? I have since put her pack-n-play in my room next to my bed and when i put her to sleep thats where she goes and then i clean and do my stuff and get ready for bed but after 2 or 3 hours in the pack n play shes fussin and yelling "MUUUUUUUM" lol i try to ignore her for about 10-15 minutes hoping she will just go back to sleep on her own but she doesnt...ever and then i bring her in with me and she goes instantly back to sleep.I have tried putting her back and at that point she knows she can lay with me and wont settle for anything less and i mean holding my hair or face so she knows im with her!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put something of yours in her crib like a shirt. She will have to learn to self soothe at some point and your going to have to let her cry it out until she goes back to sleep. Sit beside the bed and move farther away each night until your out the door.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:21 AM on May. 17, 2009

• My daughter is almost 4 and we are just now working on it. I just put her to bed in her room and let her come to bed with me whenever she wakes up. At first, she was back in bed with me by midnight. Now she will stay in her bed until about 5am. Not bad! It really hasn't taken long either.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:26 AM on May. 17, 2009

• we are just now working on it and dd is 2.5 we probably would have started at a 1.5 because that's when she started sleeping through the night but we are short on room. she now moves herself most nights to the trundle bed next to mine. hopefully next year we can move and she'll get her own room but i won't push the sleeping issue.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:36 AM on May. 17, 2009

• If she's not ready, it's best not to force her. I'm going to offer the toddler bed for her 2nd b-day. She loves Dora and her night feedings will cut down a bit more by then. Encourage and excite, don't push. If she has the trust and security, she'll build the confidence to sleep alone at a more appropriate time. 1 is too young. I'm using my DD's love of Dora to get her excited about sleeping in it (still in our room though). Make sure the bed is comfy and properly wrapped to protect from SIDS.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:04 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I am also a co sleeper and have two daughters. What worked for me was starting the "independant sleeping" at nap time. We would play in the room for a while and then settle in for a nap. I did that for about two weeks and then started the process again at night! Best of luck
    RoJomomtwo

Answer by RoJomomtwo at 12:14 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I started my DD sleeping in her crib at 8 weeks. There was a lot of crying, but it finally worked (for the most part). Some days are better than others and she does end up in bed with me for the second half of the night sometimes. At almost 11 weeks now, she still cries about being in the crib, but she's better. I just kept rocking her to sleep and putting her in the crib. When she wakes up, I wait a few mins. then go and start all over again. Sometimes this takes hours but other times, she stays asleep for a long time with no crying. It's a struggle, but has been worth the time I get with my DH in the evening. When I co-slept exclusively, I had to go to bed at the same time as my DD and I got no time to myself at all.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:41 PM on May. 18, 2009