Would you hire an OBESE nanny?

I am going back to work in June and we have been interviewing Nannys.
I found one lady who was the cheapest I've interviewed and willing to watch my kids in my home. One catch? Her drivers license said 370 ish pounds, she has asthma, and can barely walk.

I feel like I cannot hire her to watch my two, very energetic, toddlers. They are always running around and busy.. and seeing as how she could barely walk up my stairs, and was breathing heavy just from that. She had poor hygiene, as well. I dont think she can promote the healthy lifestyle we encourage (we go on at least a 3 mile walk everyday, my kids love being outdoors.. I put in the ad that we need someone who can keep up with these activities.)

Now dont get me wrong, I am overweight (although not obese) and my mom IS obese.. and I would never say that someone should be limited because of their weight.. but in this case, I want to know others opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on May. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I want to add that my mom is obese by medical standards but is still physically able to chase after my kids and take them on walks and so on.. so Its not the "obese" part as much as.. shes not physically able to be an active and good babysitter.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Well, if she doesn't fit your "healthy lifestyle" I would just go to the next candidate, why make a big deal out of it? Move on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 17, 2009

• If she has medical issues and is having problems walking upstairs and things then NO I wouldn't. Your children's lives are in her hands and if she has an asthma attack or anything then what will the kids do? You don't need a risk like that no matter how cheap she is. Now if she was heavier with no conditions then yes I would hire her if she could handle the job.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 11:34 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Well, the weight combined with the asthma....and if she gets out of breath just walking up stairs....I think I would choose someone else. And the hygene...hygene is important.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:35 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Point being- if you have to QUESTION about if someone is able to take care of your kids, its probably not the person you need..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:36 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Being obese wouldn't stop me from hiring her, but the fact that she cannot keep up with the kids would.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:41 AM on May. 17, 2009

• You have questions about her abilities to take care of your kids.

Do you really need to ask us this question? Seriously. If you don't think she can properly take care of your kids, why is she even in the running for the job?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:45 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't hire her based on the poor hygiene.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:52 AM on May. 17, 2009

• I would worry about her health. I mean you dont want her having a stroke or heart attack while she is watching your kids.

I mean its true that anyone can have that happen. But in her situation I would feel like its more likely, especially if she is moving fast trying to keep up with your fast kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on May. 17, 2009

• Why do people assume heavy people have poor hygiene?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on May. 17, 2009