Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't want to be I have to?

Alright, well I am having some issues. Body issues, tons of emotional issues (deaths in the family, a lot of stress at home, etc). Well, I think I may have a problem. I do not eat and when I do, I do purge. I want help, but I can't stop this . No one knows. They do know I'm losing weight, but I lie and say that I've developed a healthier lifestyle. I've tried stopping on my own, but I can't even thought I know that its not healthy. I want to tell someone. My SO, my parents, someone, but I'm afraid if I do, they will try to put me in a ED unit and that is the last thing I want. SO my question is, do I have to? Yes I'm of age, but from what I understand if they (next of kin) can prove you mentally unstable to make your own decisions, they can get a court order to put you there. Is this true? I just want to recover at home.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • I am sure that the first step would not be to put you in an institution. there are plenty of out patient treatments that you can work with.

    But if you need to live in a residence to help you control your problem then you may need to surrender your wishes to get better. I am assuming you have kids, but if you are sick, your kids need you to get better. So you should be willing to do everything you can to be all of the mommy they need.

    Tell your family, they love you and want to help you, let them, you may not be thinking right, right now!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on May. 17, 2009

  • I have recently started Hypnotherapy. I would highly recommend this to you. There are no medications involved and they teach you how to control your own emotions. After being on meds for 12 years of my life, I am so happy to have found this!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on May. 17, 2009

  • Go to a shrink. I assume because you're on cafemom that you're a mother, so think of your kids. I'm not saying you have to tell anyone in your life what is going on, but since you know you have a problem then you can take the steps to fix it before you have to go to a hospital. There is no shame is seeking help, and a psychiatrist or psychologist can't tell anyone anything unless you are suicidal or homicidal.

    Answer by ajguinn at 12:14 PM on May. 17, 2009

  • It is a long process for them to go threw the courts to get a court order! and if you know that you need help, and you want to get better then I wouldnt say that ur mentally unstable. I would start by telling your SO and have him help you threw this, that might releave some of the stress in your life. Keeping a secret involves a lot of stress, and something like this makes you worry all the time. And then I would go talk to a pyscologist, and maybe get help there for the other stresses in your life. and as for the not eating and purging I am sure there are some out patient threapys, make like a group or something! You have got to do something, taking the first step is the hardest!

    Answer by mrsmamaj at 12:55 PM on May. 17, 2009

  • I am so sorry that you are going through this. You truly do not have to go through this alone. Your family could have you hospitalzed if they could prove that you were a danger to yourself or others, but the hospital could not keep you for more than 48 hours.
    You need to contact your family doctor or a social services agency and find a therapist who can help you. You do need help so you can be at your best, both for yourself and your family. If you need help finding an agency to help you, contact me directly and I will help you find someone in your area.

    Answer by rkoloms at 1:53 PM on May. 17, 2009

  • To answer your question about being put in an institution, if 3 people go to court and can prove you are a threat to yourself or others the court can order you to a psych ward for 72 hours of observation and treatment.

    Now, you need to see someone now, before you do end up hospitalized. Start by going to your primary doctor and asking for a referral to a mental health specialist and get into counseling. Do NOT do this on your own, you need help and there is nothing wrong with needing help. I wish you the best of luck, hang in there you can get better.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:18 PM on May. 17, 2009

  • Hun get the help you need I did that and the anorexic thing and its not healthy if you need to talk pm me

    Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:13 PM on May. 17, 2009

  • I agree with aubrees mommie. I an a recovering anorexic (boy is that an oxymoron). Anyway. I tried to hide it for a long time and was almost to the point where I was hospitalized. (This was before I had kids.) Now I find myself slipping back into my "evil" ways when I get stressed but I now feel comfortable enough to tell my DH and the rest of my family and they pull me back everytime. Please listen to what everyone is saying. If you have children think of them. If you need to talk just message me! Good luck!

    Answer by twinmommy416 at 3:46 AM on May. 18, 2009

  • You have options that you can utilize now before you jump off the deep end, so to speak. Typically people are put in the hospital when they're a danger to themselves or others. It doesn't sound like this is the case. So, get yourself a psychiatrist, psychologist or therapist and get to work. It's a tough road but you can do it.

    Answer by krisr169 at 12:48 PM on May. 18, 2009