How do you stop a 3 yr old from picking up baby kittens?

We had a stray cat who gave birth to 5 kittens under our house. We think that there are around 7 weeks old now so we captured them and brought them inside. The mother kitten wasn't taking care of them and we wanted to make sure they were well feed and taken care of. We also want to make sure that they would get used to human contact so we can get them into good homes. These kittens are doing great. The only thing is, my 3 yr old will not stop picking them up! No matter how many times we tell him not to, send him to timeout, spank him, HE STILL DOES IT!! It's driving me crazy. I don't know how to stop him. Can anyone please help me?

trp0623

Asked by trp0623 at 11:58 AM on May. 17, 2009 in Pets

• Can you put the kittens in a room with a lock or in a place you can keep them from him. Stop the problem from happening at all.

Its tempting to pick up the cute kitties, and if you remove the tempation it would be easier on him and you.

Just give him special kitty time, where you supervise his play time. ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:02 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Is he harming them when he picks them up. If he isn't then what is the problem. My LO likes her kitties (they are full grown adult cats), but she loves to crawl to them and pet them. It is sweet. I would try to direct he sweetness towards the kitties in a good direction. I understand that he isn't listening when you say don't pick up, but maybe show him how to hold correctly, or say you can only play with them when they are on the floor. You don't want to stop his love of creatures b/c they do need to be loved.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:42 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Teach him how to handle them, if he gets introuble for it he may try to hid it and then cause harm to them. Otherwise keep them apart. You can let him play with them, give him a long shoe stringa nd let him runa round with them
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:36 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I would say keep them away except for parent, child and kitty time. Don't give him the opportunity to 'sneak' kitty time. Help him understand how easy it could be to hurt them without meaning to.
    T45

Answer by T45 at 10:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• If they're sleeping or eating or something just tell him not to grab them because theyll poo on him. I told my kids that all at some point to get some rest for the animal. They dont fear animals or their poop but it did work...
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 5:52 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Why are you trying to keep him from picking them up? If he's not hurting them, there shouldn't be a problem, and if he's a little bit rough, it might only help the kittens be even nicer and more friendly when you find homes for them. A lot of people buy kittens for children, and if they already have experience with a 3 year old, you might have an easier time finding them homes when the time comes. Maybe you'll even decide to keep one of them for your son. :)
    SabbyMommy

Answer by SabbyMommy at 6:41 AM on May. 18, 2009

• hes three, he needs to have experience handeling animals, have him sit between your legs on the floor and hold them, just as if you had a new baby and he wanted to hold it and help mommy with the baby-hes doing the same, he wants to be involved with the "babies" tell him the kittys are babies and that we are carefull with babies right? and he'll say yes, and explain to him its ok to play with them, but mommy has to be there.
    Dont take them away, because he will try to sneak and play with them-kids want what they cant have more than anything!
    Anonymous