can a 2 year old talk fluently her needs?

my daughter will say papa,tubo,a soso version of mama, and love singing but repeat the words her own way,what should i do , when i try another word she repeats papa, or laugh
what can i do to teach her new words

tine10

Asked by tine10 at 12:15 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At the age of 2, they should be able to say 50 words and start using 2-3 word phrases.

If she is not, I'd suggest calling Early Intervention for evaluations, and possibly getting speech therapy. I have two in speech therapy and the progress they have made is HUGE. This doesn't mean there is a problem, just that she could use some extra help.

But then, I don't see the point in waiting for them to "eventually catch up" when they can be helped so much with services.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:28 PM on May. 17, 2009

• All you can do is talk to her with regular words. No babytalk. She will learn it eventually. If she says the words wrong or makes up new words for things, just repeat the real word to her. One day she will say the right word. Don't correct her, just say, for example, "Oh, you want the milk," and then give her milk, if that was what she was asking for in her own words.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 12:30 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree with the pp. Just talk talk talk!! She will eventually get it. You could try doing some simple sign language with her too. It could help her focus in on words you want her to know while making it a fun game, plus you'll be able to understand her better when she picks up on the signs.

My son doesn't have a lot to say either :) I love that he can sign and make my life easier!
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 2:18 PM on May. 17, 2009