can a 2 year old get a tooth cleaning?

my 2 year old has dirty teeth, she does not have a full set of teeth yet, but the pedi dentist tells me she does not have a cavity, the teeth she needs to be clean,
i brush at night but it's a fight every night,now the teeth are becoming whiter,but she is still on the bottle ,she takes the sippy cup but not a lot, she likes drinking from the straw ,so i give a combination of sippycup,bottle ,drink on a straw,
any advice moms!!!!

tine10

Asked by tine10 at 12:27 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take that bottle away before it does cause problems! My kid was on the bottle (...lol, that sounds kind of bad!) too until he was two. Two year olds can get their teeth cleaned, just take her to the dentist and let her get familiar a couple of times first. Most dentist won't charge you for "getting to know" visits. Then she'll get more comfortable with them and let them clean her teeth.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:29 PM on May. 17, 2009

• She's using a straw and sippy, she doesn't need the bottle. Have you tried one of the battery operated (children's) tooth brushes? That helped with ours a lot.

The dentist didn't clean her teeth when she was there being checked for cavities? Ours did. He was three and they like to start seeing the kids as soon as they have teeth.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:24 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Hey! I am a dental hygienist, and it is up to each dentist office policy at what age they will see a child. I am suprised to that she was checked for cavities, but they didn't go ahead and do a cleaning. If she sat through the check well enough..I don't think that the cleaning should be a problem for your dentist. If they do say something about her age, remind them how well/comfortable she was at the check. The only reason for delaying the cleaning is not to intimidate kids. Once a "bad impression" is made of a dental office, it is about impossible to change it....everything works against it ie. other adults make comments about hating the dentist, TV makes it seems awful (look at Nemo, even!)..etc..
    mom2-2crazyboys

Answer by mom2-2crazyboys at 4:27 PM on May. 17, 2009