How come no one cries Animal cruelty?

I always see people keeping a fish in bad conditions (tank too small, to many fish in one tank, water ph not even close to right, over feeding them) till it dies a week or month later and just going out to buy a new one when it happens. Sure the fish only costs a dollar, but what does that say to your kids about the value of life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Pets

• I actually would say that is a form of animal cruelty - any time you take an animal out of its natural habitat and make it entirely dependent on your intervention for its survival and health, and then harm it or do not provide what it needs, that's animal cruelty... but with fish IMO its usually from just not being educated in how to keep fish than it is just a bad temper or sadistic intent.

Also, people don't seem to really care about fish as animals... so I'm sure there are many who know overfeeding/underfeeding, overcrowding, and not cleaning the aquarium are killing their fish, and just consider them a disposable commodity. That kind of thinking seems to indicate a dissociation in the brain that I just don't think can be educated away by the pet store cashier.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 12:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• That's actually kind of a good point. I think a lot of people just don't know how to upkeep a fish tank properly, which is why the fish die.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:36 PM on May. 17, 2009

• YES! Fish are nice pets for allergic kids! I cried when my 3 year old betta Barbie died!
    Anonymous

• Do you think it's because fish can't make noise? I'm being serious! we know when a cat or a dog or a bird is in pain because they make noise to let us know. Fish can't. They also don't have limbs and facial features to express themselves. Maybe that's why people dissociate when it comes to fish.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:49 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Oh you should hear how noisy my fish are aijuinn. Especially when they know it is time to eat! Also all through out the night a also hear "plunk, plunk, plunk,rustle rustle, rustle" as they look for food scraps in the marbles (they pick them up and drop them from various hights, hence the plunk noise). I know there is something wrong when I Don't hear them! lol.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:56 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Because most people only care about the "cute" animals. Sad, but true.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:53 PM on May. 17, 2009

• We had a 150 gallon tank with 2 huge oscars, a big Jack Dempsey, a little convict, a shark and 2 enormous algae eaters. We had most of those fish for 4 years, then when we moved, something happened and they all died. I guess the water got messed up. I was so sad. Those oscars were so active. They made their presence known. To this day, I say will never own another fish tank, because they are SO MUCH work.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:45 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree with you and that's why the Humane Society and PETA have been fighting Walmart, Petsmart, etc. to stop selling the BETA fish...just b/c in their natural environment they live in shallow ponds, puddles, whatever, it's mean to keep them in those stupid little plastic cups.....I guess people just look at them as trash like alot of other animals...sad.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Unfortunate but true. Fish are not necessarily considered animals in that sense. Think of it this way. Do we eat dogs or cats in this country? Do we eat fish? And fish can often be kept out of site of neighbors or someone that would interfere. It is a good question for the Humane society.
    T45

Answer by T45 at 10:41 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Wal-Mart should be banned from selling fish period! I get furious every time I have to go to that area because you always see dead fish floating around and its not just 1-2.... Its like 5+ per tank! Very sad!
    We had a fish & I accidentally killed it! (in an old blog on my page) I felt soooo bad & dont want another... Like another poster said fish cant make noise, so its hard to know if they are happy or not.. and that bugged me.. my dh thought i was stupid but id always wonder if he liked his tank & if he enjoyed the coral thingy or not...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:32 AM on May. 18, 2009