102.2 Temperature

My 8 month old son has a temp of 102.2. He's been sick from starting daycare, plus he's just getting over pinkeye. He's also been teething from the 2 new teeth on the top. It's Sunday, so his ped office is closed & all I can do is leave a message and wait to be called back tomorrow. At what point should I take him to the emergency room, or should I at all? I've given him a cool bath & juice/water. He's been playing and being his normal self all day, so I'm not too worried. Plus he has his regular check up on Wednesday. Can anyone share some advice on breaking his fever or something I can do? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do NOT try to sweat out a fever. It can be dangerous for the baby. When you have a fever, the body is tryng to burn the infection in the system by heating up the body. So if you put more clothes on your son, he will be over heated. strip him down to his underwear and try to keep him as comfortable as possible. Give him plenty of fluids, not only water, also juice. If he keeps having a fever after 2-3 days, take him to the doctor.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:11 PM on May. 17, 2009

• put long pants on him a long sleeve shirt and socks, sweat it out of him my dd had a fever for two days and i did that and shes good now. fevers are the bodies natural way of fighting infections, the more he sweats the more it comes out .. . . . it works for us, my mom told me to do it cause she had a fever a while back that would not go away and we took her to the doc they said it was a virus and couldnt do anything but i did what my mom said and she was fine the next day so i use that "trick" all the time now.otherwise motrin to bring it down and if nothing is bringing it down then i would take him so it doesnt get worse. if it goes too high its not good. and can be dangerous. but if it comes down with motrin or cool bath or whatever id just wait till his checkup.
    Anonymous

• Oh, by the way, if the fever doesn't go down at all, or keeps going up, I would call the doctor or take him there.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 7:12 PM on May. 17, 2009

• my son just got over a 3 day fever of 103.4 hes 6 months old i took him in and they said just tylenol and Motrin, well now he has a rash all over following that 3 day i found out its Roseola i guess its so common and goes away by its self, anyway sponge bath cool rag on the head also worked great!

michelleyucel

Answer by michelleyucel at 11:01 PM on May. 18, 2009