What's your opinion of a SAHM who sends her 2 year old to daycare 9am-5pm?

She says that babies need to be other babies to develop properly and since her toddler is the only baby makes imperative to enrolled her in the center.

Do you think she is right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's kind of silly. She is missing out on important and fun bonding time between her and her own child and it costs a ton. Unless you are a single mom or need the second income, daycare is unnecessary, in my opinion at least. You bring children into the world, so they are your responsiblity. If you are on your own, it IS responsible to find good care for your child. But if you have no place else to be? No way, man. 2 years old is sooo little. They will have years to "learn to socialize." Seriously - go to storytimes, playdates, MOPS, whatever. Playgrounds will teach the child to share and interact with people. So will having a parent with them at all times! My mom did none of that and I am very socially capable. I managed to get a job and go to college and have my own kids without special help :) Some things, like language and love, are learned naturally, not in a structured environment, per se.
    treehugginmama

Answer by treehugginmama at 12:19 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I think it's good for them, but 8 hours is a little excessive. 3 hours might be fine. I sent my daughter to daycare at age 2 because I was going to school. Oh wait, I worked in the evening too at that point, so I guess I wasn't SAH then..............
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:09 PM on May. 17, 2009

• No if she is a SAHM then she should find another one and have a play date
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 1:10 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I'm with jhj4ever but in the case when a mom is new in town it can take time to get to know new moms so I understand that the SAHM might send her to daycare. I don't agree with the schedule but some of the daycare centers won't take toddlers as long as the mom agrees to place them in full day program. By the way here in NY a full time day care center could cost 1,200.00 a month.
    Anonymous

• IMO this isn't what I would do, I feel someone's main reason for being a SAHM is because of the children. Maybe she could send the child to day care for a few hours a couple days a week, but not full time. Better yet she should find someone to have play dates with. To me SAHM is just that.....stay at home MOM. I had a friend who did this, I talked to her about it .....and then I ended up babysitting her kids myself!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 1:20 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I WISH i could be a SHAM-these women are lucky to have a partner that can support there family-if I had that choice I would be home with my baby every second I had-play dates, parks, cleaning, and dinner on the table for my man when he got home-Lucky girls you~ I work 2 full time jobs, and my kid sits in daycare 10 hours a day and falls asleep at grandmas house everynight-Im lucky if I get a day with him :(
    I envy you all-
    Anonymous

• If she feels that is whats best for her child then that's her choice. I personally wouldn't do it, I'm a single mom with no choice but to send my babies to daycare. I really bothers me that I have to and I wouldn't want to have to have a conversation with any of my friends that wanted to do anything like that. My jealousy would get the better of me!! lol
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 2:13 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't think a 2 year old is a baby.

If she can afford to do it, that's her business if she does it or not. Do I think it needs to be all day long, no...but I can't afford it, either.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:30 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think she should get a job.
    Anonymous

• I don't think toddlers need to be around other toddlers to develop properly. People act like this is socialization, but a few playdates here and there are all that's needed if you buy into the concept of socialization. I prefer my children to play with kids of all different ages, rather than all kids born within 6 months of their birth date.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:15 PM on May. 17, 2009