Do you think this is "bad parenting"?

My neighbor, who has 3 children(6, 5, 3) is very holistic and 100% organic, doesn't believe in vaccines, antibiotics, etc. Her 3 year old son developed Mrsa on his back about 5 days ago. She showed it to me and it truly looks like 3 cells in a circle, and "scabby". Her doctor drew a line around it and said if it grows outside the line, bring him in because he will need to be hospitalized to get it under control. On thursday, it grew out of the line and she refuses to take him to the doctor.

Is this bad parenting? What should I do? I told her that Mrsa can develop into a serious flesh-eating disease that can result in death, but she still won't take him in. They don't believe in ANY antibiotics, also.

mommyofsix09

Asked by mommyofsix09 at 1:14 PM on May. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes, it's neglegent. The kid needs to go to the doctor.
    Anonymous

• it is bad parenting.its either she truly is nuts, she doesnt care, or she noes the reason why his body is like that and doesnt want to take him to the hospital because the doctors will figure it out.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:19 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't think this has to do with her lifestlye, I live mine the same way, but I would definitely bring my son in and get it treated BEFORE it went outside the line.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:20 PM on May. 17, 2009

• If she doesn't budge, call CPS.
    Anonymous

• Show her pictures on how bad it can get. Hopefully that will get her to realize how serious it is.
    Anonymous

• I believe it is.
    Anonymous

• yes. if she is just letting it grow, and doesnt believe in doctors...thats just stupid. if she claims to be holistic, she should at least be doing research on natural ways to keep it under control or help her sons body defend itself with vitamins, diet and herbs, followed by a doctors supervision. if that doesnt work, she needs to follow the doctors advice to get RID OF IT! this is serious stuff
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:36 PM on May. 17, 2009

• This is a health risk to all around them. MRSA is highly contagious, extremely difficult to treat and can indeed be deadly. If she does not take him in call your local health department to notify them. They will likely move in a much faster manner than CPS. Keep calling anyone and everyone until a response is heard. This IS your business. SHe made it your business when she showed it to you and told you what the Dr. said. It is clearly abuse by failure to act on behalf of the child.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:40 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't think her lifestyle is bad parenting, but refusing to treat her child for MRSA.. No good. That's crossing a very thick line. Not vaxing is one thing. Not getting treatment for something like that is horrible.
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 1:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Not necessarily bad parenting, especially enough to call CPS on her but not the best parenting. I would call the Health Department and report that this child has an untreated case of MRSA and ask what can be done. MRSA is highly contagious and can spread to other people. Give the Health Department her name and address and they will send a nurse out to talk to her, she is putting the public at risk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:53 PM on May. 17, 2009