How can people afford internet and not food or medical care?

It really irk me that people have a computer and internet but are on PA like food stamo and MEdicaid.

and they have cell phone but can not pay for their own food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• wow, the people that are offended are the one on PA. That why this country is in debt. make people work for what they need not the government give it to them
    Anonymous

• I 100% absolutely agree. Yesterday at the grocery store a woman pulls out her state issued debit card to pay for groceries. THEN she pulls out almost $80 to pay for the things she can't buy with the food stamp money. The majority of this time she is eoither talking or texting on her phone. A FREAKING BLACKBERRY! Yeah, it pisses me off when I have to tell my kids no we can't buy ice cream this week Mommy doesn't have the money for it.
    Anonymous

• I don't know about where you are but up here if you're on 'welfare' they will pay $20/month towards internet and $20/month towards your phone as long as you are actively trying to find work because those are important tools for finding work.

Many people find themselves suddenly with out income but still have computers and tvs and the like from their times when they weren't so and in economically rough times they're unable to sell those items for any amount of money that would make a differance. Also if you've got children and can't afford day care while you're unemployed the internet is a god sent because it enables you to actively seek out a job from home where they are.
    Anonymous

• Just my opinion...if someone is receiving PA is because they have children. A moms must have a phone to keep track of important things such as school, dr's appointments, etc. Now about the TV these days you are required to subscribe to a cable company. The internet service is required for the children for homework.
    Anonymous

• Umm, not! My cell service has been turned off for 3 months now. We have a universal life line phone in the house. We don't have cable or internet. DH and I both got laid off in the same month. He is picking up a few days at an employment agency but we will lose our house if something doesn't open up soon. I'm glad summer is almost here, but in the meantime I am taking kids to the library at least twice a week to use the internet. Food stamps is the only thing keeping us drowning right now.
    Anonymous

• You gotta remember also that cell phones come with plans for 1-2 yrs. Even if you have the phone turned off, you still have to pay.
    rotPferd

Answer by rotPferd at 1:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think it really isn't anyone's business or right to judge. if you don't like it turn your head. It isnt your life so why worry about it?
    Anonymous

• Because thier priorities suck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Not everybody with a computer pays $98/month for high speed cable with all the bells and whistles. Some of them have basic dial-up for $10/month. Sometimes a relative is paying for the cell phone service and they have the blackberry from before or it was a gift...you don't know their circumstances, don't judge.
    Anonymous

• Medical care is EXPENSIVE!
    Anonymous