baptism by immersion

how many of your churches baptized by dunking

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ours does now that we have a baptismal font. We're Roman Catholic. Otherwise, they poured the water over the forehead.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 1:32 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Traditionally, my church sprinkles the water. However, my church is more than willing to perform the Baptism however the parents feel comfortable. We've done dunking, we've dunked infants (not completely mind you, just laid them back into the water like in a bath, not totally under it), we've poured, sprinkled, you name it. This is because the mode of Baptism is not important. The actual sprinkling/dunking of the water is symbolic. The invocation of the Holy Spirit to dwell with the child and guide the child (we do infant Baptism but will Baptise adults who are new-believers too) occurs not because of the water but because of the prayers of the pastor/family/conregation. We believe that faith alone saves us and that the MODE of Baptism is irrelevant because it cannot save our souls. So however you want to be Baptised, we're not picky! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:40 PM on May. 17, 2009

• mine does... that is how Jesus was baptized right in lake. no sprinkling you have to baptize the whole body not just the four head.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:13 PM on May. 17, 2009

• ditto novemberlove, except my church traditionally dunks.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:55 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I am LDS and we dunk people :)

soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 3:06 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I'm pagan so I don't do baptizm but my mother is JW. They dunk you... In fact she had to be done twice because they dunked her and her toe came out of the water the first time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:33 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Our does too.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 4:06 PM on May. 17, 2009

• At our church we dunk. We usually go to the beach and do it or we put up a big above ground pool in the parking lot (like 3 times during the summer).

We don't baptize babies although we do have a dedication for babies/children.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 4:23 PM on May. 17, 2009

• We're dunkers ; )
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 5:10 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Yes, Sabrina's right, JW's believe in full immersion and we don't Baptize babies.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:45 PM on May. 17, 2009