My tween daughter just got her first cell phone!

My daughter just had her 11th birthday and got her first cell phone. She has been asking for a phone for the last several years. All of her friends have had one before her. Based on your experience, just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to watch for and what boundaries to set for her use of the phone.

LovetoTeach247

Asked by LovetoTeach247 at 1:26 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• theres so many things going on with teenagers and there cell phones.some parents check there childrens bills and look at every number they dont reecognize and stuff, dont be like that.but i say do check ups here and there and make sure shes not doing anything shes not suppose to like pictures and texts.but if you trust in how you've raised your daughter you should have nothing to worry about
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:31 PM on May. 17, 2009

• If you're going to allow her to text, get unlimited texting.
    Anonymous

• Get the unlimited texting. Look into a shared family plan that has limited amount of minutes to share and unlimited texting. I have a plan that has 1500 minutes a month, unlimited texting and picture mail. It's perfect for my son and I. I would talk to your daughter about what to do if she recieves inappropriate texts or pictures, make sure she knows NOT to forward anything inappropriate, have her tell and show an adult. You can check your bill for phone numbers but there is no way to check the texts that she is getting. Depending on the provider you can check picture mail she sends and recieves through an online account. I trust my son so I rarely check his cellphone and he knows that if his grades fail or he gets in trouble I take the phone except for when he is home alone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:43 PM on May. 17, 2009

• my daughter is 7, i had to get her a cell phone because when she went to her dads house she would not be able to wake him up she would be scared and crying and the sob would tell her to go back to bed or to go downstaris and get her own breakfast. anyway i go through verizon. i put restrictied calls on her phone. that means that she can only dial and receive calls from her contact list. you can change that on the phone but you have to know the password. if someone tries to call or text her that is not a contact it will not go through. it has worked great for us. i also disables the feature that allows her to download ring tones or pictures. it is only 10$ a month on my family plan. and since everyone we know has verizon she never uses any minutes!!!
    Anonymous

• Block all extra, paid features. If she has limits on minutes or texts, make sure that she knows that she must pay for the overages, and make sure that you have a mechanism in place to make sure that his happened. We added our daughter on to our family plan, and added unlimited texting for $5/month. We cancelled our landline, so we are actually ahead on the deal.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Perfect solution: Do not giver her a cell phone until she understands the respondsibilities of having one. Been there done it with my 10 yr old. She lost her cell phone and is NOT getting another one until I see fit and she is more respondsible. At least I do not have to worry about paying it, because it was on my ex husbands plan!
    JanuaryRayne

Answer by JanuaryRayne at 3:52 PM on May. 17, 2009

• text me 677-865-9686
    Anonymous

• They have parent-child phones that are set up so you can track all their calls and texts... I guess she already has one, so it might not help. But maybe your provider has some sort of parent-friendly program?
    guitarlove

Answer by guitarlove at 12:18 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Let her know you are keeping track of her calls, texts and photos. Also, this would be an excellent time to talk to her about "sexting" when people send inappropriate, or sexual pics through their cell phones - let her know it's a crime and never to forward them, to tell you immediately what is happening, or risk your daughter involved in an in-depth police investigation.
    Anonymous

• All of the suggestions here seem about right,key here is to remember kids aren't as responsible as adults when it comes to things like phones!
    I am considering getting my tweens and teen a phone too,there are ways to shop and compare which carrier or plan may work bettter. Go to www.1url.com/sasgoodiecell it helps a whole lot when making that decision.
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 11:25 PM on May. 22, 2009