My daughter is coming home asking alot of questions!

My daughter is in the 2nd grade and is coming home asking what a lot of words mean. She says a boy in class has been saying them in school. I know they learn more than just the 3R's in school, but she has heard words, gay, lesbian, penis, a--,etc. What would you do about this? I am shocked!

LovetoTeach247

Asked by LovetoTeach247 at 1:30 PM on May. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree with being honest, and then telling her your opinion of how they are used. We encourage our son to use correct terms for body parts, but words that are slang or derogatory we say are 'words that some people say, but we don't say them in our family because they are hurtful/naughty' etc.
    The important thing is to encourage your daughter to come to you with her questions. If she feels too uncomfortable, she will find answers elsewhere, and we all know what kinds of influences are out there.
    Brezer

Answer by Brezer at 11:21 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Tell the your dd teacher to speak gently and privately with your daughter after you tell her those are words little children don't use and it's important that she be comfortable and tell teacher. imo penis is the worst of what you've listed. if other words in the same category are used in slang or correct words that's unnecessary in school to. If your daughter is too embarrassed or afraid to say those words to teacher then you have a conversation with her. For you and teach it doesn't have to be in person, a phone call and your concerns about other words coming into use or already being used should be good enough.
    Anonymous

• Answer her honestly. My daughter has a friend that has two mommies. She knows all about being gay and she's in the 2nd grade too. I have always used the appropriate words for their body parts. So far I haven't had to answer "Where to babies come from" but she does know the stork doesn't bring them. She knows they grow in your stomach. How they are made is still a mystery to her.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:38 PM on May. 17, 2009

• i say you talk to the teacher and tell her to have a talk with the little boy and his mother.if the teacher doesnt want to then you talk to the boy and his mother.try to keep your daughter away from kids like that bcause i honestly think no 2nd grader should know about stuff like that so young.thats just my opinion though
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:40 PM on May. 17, 2009

• yea i just thought about it after reading sadira28's answer.being honest would probably be the best bet this way as she gets older shes not curious
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:45 PM on May. 17, 2009

• tell her the truth. it is not going to do you any good hiding things from her. you can use words that she knows. dont go into too much detais just be honest and open. now is the time when children find out if they can talk to their parents about anything. so if you want to avoid her going to other people when she has questions when she grows i suggest you be open and honest. remember she is just trying to figure out what all of this means. it is more than likely that the boy that is saying these thing doesnt even know what they mean. he has opicked them up somewhere and thinks he knows what he is talking about. good lkuck111
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 2:03 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I'd just tell her what they mean, they're all reasonable words. My 3 year old could tell you what all those listed words mean. I wouldn't consider it a problem unless she was coming home asking about swear words or unsavory terms like c**t and so on.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:28 PM on May. 17, 2009

• tell her what they mean. but i would be talking to a teacher or a parent. there are somethings that kids don't need to worry with in the 2nd grade.
    EricaMarieElli

Answer by EricaMarieElli at 7:43 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Keep in mind that at least one girl in her class may already have her period - the NORMAL range for starting is anywhere from 7 to 15. Also keep in mind that by the end of next year a few may be wearing bras. And remember to that many of the kids have older brothers and sisters that they hear stuff from - as well as all the older kids at school with her everyday.

She is hearing things from the kids at school. If you do not answer her honestly and fully now, about simple words, will she trust you when you have "the talk"? One talk is not the way to go... have a life time of open discussions. Prove to her that you can be trusted with this now and you will have a better shot at keeping her trust in the dangerous years to come.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 AM on May. 18, 2009

• imo penis is the worst of what you've listed.

My son at 2 referred to his penis as a penis. I am trying to figure out how that is a bad word. It is an actual body part and not anything dirty. My son knew what a vagina was when he asked me if I had a penis. Talk to her honestly about the words and don't make it a huge deal. Kids are usually more freaked out by mom and dads responses to the words than the words themselves.
    Anonymous