Undecided about Baby #2

Anyone planning on having only one child? Thoughts? My husband is happy with having one child and most of the time, I feel the same. If I want another baby, my husband is fine with that too. I just don't want regrets. I am older and don't want to be an old mom. Right now, we are doing well financially and can provide the best for our son. But it would be nice for him to have a sibling.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on May. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son is an only and will remain that way. My cousin is an only. It didn't affect her.
    Anonymous

• I am in the same boat as you. I always thought I wanted 2, but now that me and my SO have one and see how hard it can be, how much sleep we lose, how expensive it is, we both are pretty much in agreement that we'd like to just have 1 and give her the best of everything.
    But than I also remember growing up with 3 younger siblings and how boring my life would've been if I'd been an only child.
    So, I'm torn. Right now the plan is one, but if it happens again, well than that's the cutoff!
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 1:42 PM on May. 17, 2009

• How old are you? I was almost 29 when my first was born, 33yo when my second was born, and 38 years old when my third was born. Nicole Kidman was she in her forties for her first birth? I always made sure to go to the best doctors and hospitals with highest level neo incase of problems.
    It's a hard decision I know.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing wrong with only having one child but think about the long run for your child. Your child will miss out on so much with out having a sibling. I come from a big family, and it is the best to be able to count on your siblings. Think about holidays, what happens with your child meets someone and wants to go to his or her SO house. I really dont think you would regret having another child, I think you might regret not having another one!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 2:01 PM on May. 17, 2009

• i say if your content with one then only have one.me i have my 1st on the wayy and as long as were financially stable im gonna have another one.3 the most 2 the least.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:08 PM on May. 17, 2009

• . My PERSONAL take on this topic is that we tend to take on more that we have or need to. Our physical bodies can only do so much, so pushing its limits with multiple preggers is a risk.
    I have a neurolocial/muscualr disease that is hereditary but not garanteed to be pasted on. I keep that fact close to my heart as well when considering another.
    My emotional and mental health is what stops me from asking my hubby to have his 'tool repaired'. I was, and am so exhausted, I given alot of very personal attention to my son. We play, we read, we go on adventures, all the things 3 year olds are suppose to do with their MaMas ...but without a brother or sister. I do make sure that he has all the interaction he needs by enrolling him a bit early in school and make lots of trips to playgrounds and such. I suppose it is just a very personal choice to have more than one. Dont doubt yourself if just one is really all you need.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 2:15 PM on May. 17, 2009

• We only wanted one.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:26 PM on May. 17, 2009

• If you're happy with one, there's nothing wrong with that.  I have two only children, born over 18 years apart.  I love it and would not go back and change it.  My boys adore one another, there will never be sibling rivalry, and I will never feel pulled in different directions.  Having lots of babies is a wonderful thought, however, having to choose between one child's soccer championship game over another's big ballet recital, is not a decision I will ever have to make.  Being able to afford just the basics for two or more children is a scary thought, let alone being able to support their interests.  continued ...

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:18 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Little League, music lessons, and martial arts classes add up to hundreds of dollars a month. With one at a time, I can focus 100% of my attention to their needs. I'm not in any way against large families. I just know it's not for me and there's nothing wrong with it. Only children who get a healthy amount of socialization do very well.

DeTora_Family

• I dont know, I was raised with a sister, and my two kids have each other. I would think that having 2 kids would be better then one, then they would have a best friend and someone that they can talk to.
    MassageMom090

Answer by MassageMom090 at 4:13 PM on May. 17, 2009