13 month old still wont eat enough solids.

she was never really that interested in eating solids since she started. she'd try it just for the taste but would never eat enough to sustain her for long enough before her next meal. she'll have maybe 5-8 bites of food. she didn't like baby food, so we tried some table foods. but she's still the same.. 5-8 bites. i breastfeed her but i'm starting to get really concerned that she isnt getting the right nutrition that a 13 month old should be getting. i wasnt trying to rush her before because i thought she'd learn in time, but there haven't been any improvements and now i'm starting to worry. does any one have some tips or similar experiences? thanks everyone!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A great beginer food is infant cereal. The texture is always a new exciting discovery. Put mashed banannas or cream peaches...whatever she has taken a liking to. Let her play with it maybe add a baby spoon to the mix. As we all know whatever baby has in his/her hands will eventually find its way to their mouth......if she is ready to start on solids then she will probably take to the ceareal easy. But on the other hand its a good idea not to push her, she may not be ready and will continue with all liquids. If that is the outcome, remember, dont give up!!!! eventually she will want the solids so continue giving her the oppurtunity to try...! good luck !
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 2:31 PM on May. 17, 2009

• At that age my daughter ate: avocado, baked sweet potato, cooked and mashed beans, tofu cubes, scrambled egg, hummus, whole grain bread with sunbutter, whole wheat noodles.
    More information here: www.superbabyfood.com.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:57 PM on May. 17, 2009

• At her age, I wouldn't worry about baby food solids, but would work on just table foods.

A better bet would to bring it up to the doctor. Not that there is a problem, but he can start looking into it if need be.

Give her what you're eating, try different size pieces...smaller or larger so she has to take bites (my sons preferred that at 13 months)...more on a plate, less on a plate...experiment a bit.

OH! Dipping sauces. My kids love ketcup and I just discovered my 3 year old likes ranch dressing! (given at his school lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:22 PM on May. 17, 2009

• She's getting all the nutrition she needs from you. I know several babies that just didn't take to a lot of solids until about 18 months. It is really scary when it's your child, but it will pass.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 4:13 PM on May. 17, 2009