• In the Spotlight:

baby hasn't pooped!

My little girl is six weeks now, and she hasn't pooped in about 48 hours! The pediatrition office is closed, what do i do? She's formula feed, has been doing just fine except for this. ideas????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know exactly how you feel, my son didnt poop for 6 days after he came home from the hospital. I ASSURE you she will be fine. Is she fussy? Maybe she is just a little constipated. Try about 1/2 an ounce of prune or applejuice. No more than that. That is what my pedictrician told me to do when my son was a new born, just to get his bowels going. He had a lot of tummy issues with pooping til he was 2months old, only pooped once a week if that. I bet your little girl is fine, and the pediatrician will say the same.
    FrankiesMa08

Answer by FrankiesMa08 at 2:04 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Give her water. Pure water. Constipation is normal for formula fed babies. You can try a bit of pastuerized apple juice diluted in water in a three to one ratio. (Mostly water) and see if that helps. If nothing else call the ER nurse and see what they recommend. You can call your pediatrician's answering service. The doctor does expect their patients to call especially with young babies so don't be afraid of interrupting the docs weekend. It's ok. Good luck
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:09 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My ped told me to use a rectal thermometer. It would get my babies pooping in no time.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:17 PM on May. 17, 2009

• at around six weeks formula fed babies can go for 72 hours without pooping... so give it another day before calling your doctor or treating for constipation. It is possible this is just going to be your babies normal poo schedule, which is lucky for you!

http://www.justmommies.com/articles/baby-poop.shtml
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 3:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• she will not be harmed by the constipation but if she is fussy you can try a couple things. I just went thru this with my baby and doc told me:glycerine suppositories, cut in half length wise. no more than 1 a day, also the small amount of prune juice. My baby was so miserable and now that we did those things he is like a new baby and so happy.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:15 PM on May. 17, 2009

• my son wouldn't poop for almost a week and his doc said its normal, but i know the feeling of being scared, you can always help her if you feel shes bothered take a thermometer with vaseline and wiggle it around in her but she will poop like crazy my lil guy did, just don't do it to much because they can lose the urge. i helped my son poop 2 a week cause he seemed bothered.

michelleyucel

Answer by michelleyucel at 10:55 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Its normal, they can go up to a week or so without going. As long as it isn't bothering the baby you don't have to do anything
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:19 AM on May. 19, 2009