I have to ask because I saw another parent does this...

but is it ok to allow a cat to sleep in the crib with your kid? I'm guessing it is an older kid, not an infant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on May. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• The issue with cats and babies is the cat will sleep on top of the baby, and the baby isn't big enough to move from underneath, and does'nt have lungs strong enough to breathe with the extra weight.

Personally, I wouldn't let the cat sleep with my son (I don't let the dogs either), but there's been times the cat was in the room at bedtime I didn't notice and in the morning the poor cat is being hugged to death.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:12 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Depends on the age of the child, mostly - with the included factors such as development and size. Before a year old, probably not. Between one and two, maybe. After two, sure, why not?
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:17 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Hmmm, with a small infant no way. with an older (over 1) child I would really feel for the poor cat! but if she went there on her own than it's the poor kitties own dang fualt whatever happens in the toddlers domain!
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 2:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I would think it would depend on the age and physical ability of the child, as well as the individual cat.  I would not be comfortable with that happening until my child was old enough to get in and out of bed alone and able to get out from under the cat if it was sleeping on top of him.  If the cat has claws, I would worry about the child upsetting the cat moving in his sleep and getting scratched (this would also be a cat personality issue).  I really don't need anything thrown into our nighttime sleep routine that could potentially cause more problems, lol.  "Mommy, the cat woke me up," is NOT what I need to deal with at 2 a.m., ya know?

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 2:35 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Babies smell like milk.....cats like milk....Therefor, NO i would never let my cat sleep with my infant or toddler child.
    SBC0110

Answer by SBC0110 at 2:49 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Absolutely not!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 2:49 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't put my kids in a bed alone. We are cosleepers. And I am not a cat person, But if I were I wouldn't stop the cat from being close to my kids even asleep...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:50 PM on May. 17, 2009

• probably not
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:52 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Provided Kitty doesn't have fleas and Baby can roll and will scream if she needs to, sure thing.
    rainbowlight

Answer by rainbowlight at 4:22 PM on May. 17, 2009

• not before a year.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 4:30 PM on May. 17, 2009