Is it worth asking for?

So prior to my husband and I getting married my husband "loaned" his father collectively over $10,000 over the course of 4 years. I use the term loaned loosely as we have yet to see a penny of that back. Now my in laws have been jerks on and off since we met, right now they are being pretty decent. But it's been awhile since all these loans were taken out and it would be nice to see some effort on their part to pay it back. $20 a paycheck even. A little background is my husband took out a $6000 loan on his classic car to help his dad get caught up. My husband made the payments until we wanted to get married he then decided to sell it to help pay for the wedding. He still owed $4000 on it so we only saw $1200 of the final price for our wedding and his dad was mad that we didnt give him any of the money. If you were my husband and I would you ask that they make an effort to pay that debt back or would you just let it go?

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 2:32 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• i think its not only been a long time and the money is long gone its also he or you or both of you should of learned from it cuz how many times did u loan him money and how long did u wait to give him more u should of read the signs and there is no paper work or anything legal sometimes there are people u can just never trust their integrity he sounds like one of them.
    LiVE2l0VE

Answer by LiVE2l0VE at 2:37 PM on May. 17, 2009

• money does not grow off trees.i work hard for my money and especially in this economy i need my money.i would def make them pay it back just like u said at least 20 dollars from every pay check.its not even the fact of the money its the principle.and that is disrespectful that they havent even paid back a cent
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:41 PM on May. 17, 2009

• screw that. you tell them you want your money.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 2:51 PM on May. 17, 2009

• From experience with DH's family, you can ask all you want, but you'll never see the money again. Just take it as a lesson learned and not "lend" any money anymore!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 3:09 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't think it's worth asking for. I don't think you're going to see it and then by asking you're just going to cause unnecessary strife. Take it as a lesson learned and next time someone needs money just say that you can't afford to help out.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:22 PM on May. 17, 2009

• You can ask for it back, but I really don't think you will see a penny of that $, I also think the inlaws will get very snotty and it could cause a rift or hard feelings in the family..... My suggestion would be never ever lend money -especially to family/friends. If you ever do a loan to family again get the loan in writing, with signature promising to pay it back. Then you have have actual proof of a loan and could sue to get the $ back. I hope the inlaws will make good and pay you back!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:52 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I'm not sure if you will get any of it back, but DEFINITLY ask for it back. it cant hurt
    kalioop

Answer by kalioop at 4:06 PM on May. 17, 2009

• you DH loaned them the money, not you. it should be his decision. but now you know never to "loan" them anything.
    LilChynaDollie

Answer by LilChynaDollie at 8:08 PM on May. 17, 2009