What is too young for daycare?

I have a 1 year old and another baby due at the beginning of July and I am going to have my hands full. I would like to put my 1 year old in daycare but not sure when it is appropriate to put a new baby in daycare. I would like to go back to work after my baby is born and all my relatives work during the day. I do not currently work but plan on going back after baby is born.

ahelliott143

Asked by ahelliott143 at 3:19 PM on May. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Most daycare places will not take a baby until they are 6wks old or more. It has something to do with their immune systems
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:21 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I hated 2 do it, but my youngest went when she was 6 weeks old. I had no choice...come back 2 work or lose ur job is basically what I was told. Now 5yo, she is rarely sick, gets along w/everyone, minds very well (except 4 me hahaha). I think as long as u find a good, clean daycare, (I prefer a learning center where they have better curriculum) they will be fine.
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 3:25 PM on May. 17, 2009

• It depends on what type of daycare facility you are considering. In my personal opinion, I didn't have children for them to be raised by someone else so I sacrifice A LOT not to put my children in daycare. My daughter is 5 and is now attending pre-kindergarten and I'm happy for her. However, I would consider putting my son who is nearly three in daycare or preschool a few times a week for socialization.
    If you absolutely can't take it at home and have to return to work, wether it be for income or sanity reasons than by all means find the right place that works for you and your family and ask lots of questions. Make sure they actually try to interact with the children versus just keeping them alive. (I find a lot of places do the "free play" and I don't think it's appropriate all of the time, sometimes a little structure is not a bad thing)
    CONGRATS on the soon to be baby! And hope all goes well for you and the family!
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 3:27 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Under six weeks old.  I believe most daycares will not take newborns younger than that.  Your doctor will also tell you not to go back to work for at least six weeks, so it usually works out.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 3:29 PM on May. 17, 2009

• every age were the child cant tell you wat is going on read the newspaper lately??? i dont trust anyone wit my children
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 3:36 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I guess I am kinda from the "old school" way of thinking. I am currently a stay at home mom....but have worked at different times throughout raising my children.

In my opinion, I don't think that it is a good idea to put your child into a daycare or childcare center until they are at an age to #1 speak in full understandable sentences and #2 understand the concept of "being mistreated". Unfortunately, this day in age, this is something that is becoming more and more a necessity for parents to think about. You can just never be too sure or too careful when it comes to your most precious gifts from God.
    Blue-Eyed-Angel

Answer by Blue-Eyed-Angel at 3:45 PM on May. 17, 2009

• no place thats legit will except any child under 6 weeks.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:50 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My son is fourteen months and hasnt even been babysat yet. But I don't plan on going back to work. I'm not personally planning on putting him in daycare. But I wouldn't do it until you chile is a year. other litlle kids might get their hands on your baby and either hurt it or make it sick. I really wouldnt until the baby is big enough to walk around. Otherwise it just sits there while other kids poke at it.
    Anonymous

• Personally I think that it is best to be home for at least the first year. I would never and will never have my children in daycare. I think that it is important as a mother, to be the one caring for you children. Not strangers 40 hours a week. You would only see them at night a few hours before bed and weekends??? Not how I plan to mother.
    Anonymous

• There are some places that take babies as young as 2 weeks old. There are a few in my city and they are both awesome centers. Most places take infants starting at 6 weeks old, that is the age because that is when most moms are released to go back to work after maternity leave.

Ignore the moms that are saying you are wrong to put your kids in daycare, it sounds like you are doing this because you have no other choice. You can be a mother and still work. My son was in daycare at about 4 months old and he survived, he is now 13 and happy, healthy and independent. You do what you have to do and don't worry about what others say and try to make you feel bad about.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:00 PM on May. 17, 2009