• In the Spotlight:

Feeding premies

Anyone have any information regarding feeding a premie. I had an emergency c-section at 37 weeks. The baby weighed 5 lbs. 10 oz. at birth. I would like to know a feeding scehedule that we could use as a starting point and adjust to her needs. She rarely drinks more than 1 1/2 oz at each feeding and only will eat 4-5 times per day.

Allie120

Asked by Allie120 at 3:31 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 5 lbs when I brought him home. They had him on an every 3 hour schedule in the hospital, but I fed on demand. Remember that their tummies are very small, so its not surprising that they don't eat much at a time. See how your daughter is doing when you take her to the doctor's to see if she is doing well with weight gain. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 3:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My son was born at 36 weeks and my daughter was 3 weeks and 6 days early. They ate every 3 hours. My son would drink 1/2 an ounce, his stomach could not handle any more than that or he would projectile vomit. I fed him when he was hungry. My daughter was breastfed and she ate every 1 1/2 hour- 2 hours, I fed them on demand. Their stomachs are very tiny and can't handle a lot. Good luck!! Just fed your baby when she is hungry. Congratulations on the new baby!!
    My youngest weighed 5lbs 14oz at 2 weeks, I know how tiny 5lbs is.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 3:57 PM on May. 17, 2009

• we can tell you what our babies ate but every baby is different.Call her docs office and they can help you more. good luck.:o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:04 PM on May. 17, 2009