• In the Spotlight:

Anyone ever heard of giving a newborn Raw cows milk?

My friend, god love her, i believe has lost her mind! She is on this 100% organic kick(which i am organic as well but not to this extent) and part of some sort of foundation that believes in giving children raw (unpasturized milk). He is 3 months old and She doesnt give him any formula just vitamin oils in the milk. She also didnt get any of his vaccinations. Doesnt unpasturized milk carry parasites? and arent you susposed to waite a year before introducing cows milk? Im worried about her little guy does this seem extreme?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• HE SHOULDN'T BE HAVING COWS MILK-MOMS MILK OR FORMULA!!!

She is going to make him sick. I would call children services.
    Anonymous

• It is the best thing to give................. BABY COWS!!!!
    I would call child services on that nut job!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:40 PM on May. 17, 2009

• She's not the brightest crayon in the box is she? If she doesn't want to use formula, BREASTFEED. There's nothing more natural then that. Giving cow's milk at this age is dangerous. It will leach the iron out of his intestines making him anemic. Unpasteurized cows milk is a little healthier then pasteurized cows milk, but the woman is still stupid.
    Anonymous

• yes, extreme and dangerous...actually deadly. I know you love your friend but you need to show her the research on the dangerous of cows milk, especially unpasturized. Organic doesnt mean unpasterized, it means with nothing added to the cow or the milk...she could kill her baby doing this.The reason why they do not give kids milk earlier is because 1. their tummies are not mature enough to handle it, and 2. it can cause milk alergies in babies, which can also be very very serious, even deadly...i hope she stops, because her health kick is child endangerment. good luck and do some research to show her she is doing so much more harm than good.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:42 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think you'd be wise to inform her of what the one anonymous person wrote: the cow's milk will leach the bowels of his iron supply and cause him to be anemic.. as well as the potential to cause serious bowel implications later in life, which can cause to a seriously horrible life. (trust me, i have bowel problems) Maybe try not telling her she's stupid and try explaining what you found online when doing some research. Suggest that she breastfeed because it is the NATURAL and ORGANIC way to feed your baby... DUH??
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 3:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I really have tried to tell her but she will just not listen she gets angry and tells me that she doesnt tell me how to raise my child and that its her decision and her beliefs! She has invested in a cow so it is not illegal for her to get the unpasturized milk anymore. This has really put a rift in our friendship and i cannot even talk to her anymore i have lost my respect for her parenting. I do not really want my baby around hers either because im convinved he is going to get some kind of horrible diease!
    Anonymous

• yes unpasterized milk can make anyone sick. Please let her know this is totally unsafe. No cows milk before 12 months.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:49 PM on May. 17, 2009

• my son had cows milk beofre he was a year old . his pedi told me to
    alot of child have had "raw" cows milk before.
    dont be mean and call CPS for soemthing stupid like this. just tell her to talk to her dr , or if she coses someoen that speicalizes in organic nutrition . you can also ask a dr about , try to make her see that that young it is not the best choice and tell her to use soy formula then it is a better choice.
    just try to make her see ,
    good luck .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:51 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Cow milk is for baby cows. The World Health Organization (uninfluenced by the dairy and formula industries, like American doctors) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months; after that, the only beverage a child needs is water.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:07 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Raw milk, especially from cows, contains listeria, a bacteria that can make babies very size. Also, babies cannot digest cow milk until a year old.
    Anonymous