UGH! Why is this so difficult!?

I have an 11 month (10 months adjusted)old who will be 1 in about 2 weeks. He is barely drinking any formula anymore.....he wont use a sippy cup either. I have tried every one on the market. The only thing he will eat is baby food. He loves baby food, but every time I try to introduce him to table foods he gags and throws up! I have tried several things and made the pieces very small. I have tried gerber puffs, baby cookies, sliced bananna, pears, carrots, macaroni.... he does chew them a bit and then vomits. I am afraid for when he turns 1 because I want to get him off of the formula due to cost but I dont think he can survive on just stage 2 baby food right?

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 3:39 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you talked to your pediatrician? You might need to see a Gastroenterologist.
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 3:42 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Definitely talk to your doctor, and if he suggests you keep him on formula, can you get it from WIC? Ask about whole milk and vitamins supplements with iron. They come in a liquid dropper form. (I just found that out!) You can mix it in the juice or whatever, or give it straight.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:46 PM on May. 17, 2009

• It sounds like he could have issues with his stomach and a gastroenterologist may be a good idea... also, he could be very particular about the textures of things and therefor the more solid foods are cauing issues psychologically. (he very much could be on the autism spectrum, watch for other signs and talk to your doctor immediately)
    He can survive on babyfoods, try introducing him to the ones that contain more FOOD and less mush, is he drinking the stage two formulas? He's probably ready for a big boy cup. Try them out where he can't make a huge mess, and don't fill it all the way full. It just takes time. My kids drank out of cups since 6 months old.. they've never liked sippy cups.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 3:52 PM on May. 17, 2009

• You say his adjusted age is 10 months - was he a preemie? Did they use a feeding tube for him at any point? My son was in the NICU for 2 weeks and had a feeding tube and he gagged and threw up his food way more than my oldest did. His speech pathologist told me that it is common for babies who had feeding tubes after birth to develop a really sensitive gag reflex. My son has pretty much outgrown this now (he'll be 2 soon) but for awhile, we couldn't give him a lot, he would choke so badly so often (even throwing it up), that it was scary! :) For now, your son can eat the baby food, try to get some fluids in him however works. Try Pediasure too, if your ped says that's ok for him - it's high in nutrition and calories if nothing else stays down. There is no "right" way to give a child water or formula if they are ingesting it successfully :) Good luck!
    treehugginmama

Answer by treehugginmama at 12:14 AM on May. 18, 2009