Funny smell from umbilical cord

My daughter is 4 days old and I noticed today that her cord has a slight odor to it. You only notice the odor if you are like right on the cord and it smells kind like rotting flesh; that smell your skin gets if you get sun burn and start to peel. I've been wiping it with alcohol only once a day to remove any dried blood from the base and it it very weak and look a little like its about to fall out but I'm not sure since she is my first child. They said at our postpartum apt yesterday that if it was a putrid smell or if you could smell it from a distance to be concerned. I wasn't sure if what I was smelling was normal or if I should call the ped's and talk to the O.C.

mothergibson

Asked by mothergibson at 3:54 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could call her pediatrician if you are concerned. My kids cord always smelled a little foul but not much. I was actually told by the pediatrician to use no alcohol and my youngest daughters cord and it came off at 1 wk. Congratulations on your new baby girl!!
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 5:14 PM on May. 17, 2009

• call the dr mine told us that if there is an odor at all tell her .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 3:55 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My 3 month old's pedi told us to call if there was any odor present. But she also told us to use the alcohol 3-5x daily.

She was 18 days when the cord came off and there was no odor present while it was still on.

Good luck and congrats with your new little one :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 4:15 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Our ped told us to use the rubbing alcohol 3 times a day to clean it and it would fall out in about 7-10 days. Maybe try cleaning it more and seeing if the smell clears up.
    StefMc07

Answer by StefMc07 at 4:58 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I also was told that if the cord has an odor to it or if it is bloody or swollen to call the doctor.
    CandieGirl09

Answer by CandieGirl09 at 5:49 PM on May. 17, 2009