So, I know Yule/Christmas is a long way a way, but I was thinking about something...

We were out at the park today and we went for a hike with the kids. There were some baby trees there and it made me think. I hate the idea of cutting down a living tree and bringing it in my house at the holidays. I'm allergic to pine so I use that as my excuse. But I would like to just ignore my allergy and start having a tree. But fake ones look fake...

So, here's what I was thinking... Why not go buy a small potted evergreen tree (maybe 2-3 feet tall) keep it potted in the house, decorate it for Yule/Christmas, and then at the end of the season, we could plant it...

What do you all think... Is that really strange? Do you think it could be a good tradition?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:55 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sabrina, seriously, are you okay today??
    Anonymous

• I like the idea. My trees are all fake. I don't care I have four kids and don't need water spilled all over the floor. That's my "excuse" . I prefer the fake ones. It's more cost effective over the years as we don't have to buy one every year.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:57 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Anon, go crawl back under your rock.

Sabrina, I think it is a really cool idea.  Do you have a big enough yard to plant one every year or know someone who would let you plant in their yard?

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 3:59 PM on May. 17, 2009

• In theory, sounds good, but I'd check with a nursery and see how they do root bound, because you'd have to keep them that way for quite a while.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:02 PM on May. 17, 2009

• What time of the year do evergreens have to be planted in???

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:07 PM on May. 17, 2009

• The best time is fall, though I imagine you probably could plant them any time the ground is thawed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:09 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Anon... Now what did I do? Is this me just trying to "stir up shit" as was so nicely put earlier??

I saw a tree - I had a thought- I wanted feed back - Is that a problem?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:18 PM on May. 17, 2009

• That is a pretty popular thing to do here.  At xmas time a lot of places that sell trees often sell some planted in pots so that you can transplant them outside afterwards.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:41 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think it's a great idea.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 4:53 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Sounds cool to me. I've heard of some people just planting a nice sized tree in their yard and decorating that every year instead of an inside tree.
    We've always had artificial trees. I love the one we have now and it looks nicer then most of the real trees I've seen. It was expensive, though. My dad paid like $350 for it back in 1995.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:55 PM on May. 17, 2009