Where do I start when it comes to potty training?

My daughter can take off her own diaper, she knows when she has pooped or peed, but I dont think that she knows when she has to poop. I just don't know where to start or when or how... she is my first child.. I just need some advice...

Arielsmommy507

Asked by Arielsmommy507 at 4:19 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start now. Just put her on the potty every 30 min to a hour. It is a lot of work, but eventually she will figure it out. I started with my DD at 18 months, and she was completely potty trained by 2. The key is consistency though. Do not start, get frustrated and give up, that will confuse them. Good Luck!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 4:22 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Understandable question and it's good you asked everyone here.
    I'd suggest start by asking your daughter if she needs to go potty or pee or poop, then take her to the rest room and place her on the toilet. Also, take her all the time when you go and say, Mommy's got to go potty, talk to her about using the potty, mommy pees on the potty, etc. Just do that for a few months, she'll start getting the hang of it and most likely she'll start doing it before you know it! ALSO PRAISE her when she goes on the potty! Make a big fuss, say that you're proud of her, give her hugs, give her a special sticker or something...
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 4:22 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Oh make a potty chart, with all the days of the week on it! when she starts going, or just for sitting there, give her a star sticker on her sheet. I even gave my DD 2 mini M&Ms when she would go. LOL. She figured that out quick.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 4:23 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Okay, I have three daughters and all were potty trained quick and earlier than most would expect. My oldest was 14 months, my 2nd was 13, but the youngest is now 20 months and at the end of potty training. My main key was when I decided to potty train I said, "Once this pack of diapers are all gone, I will NOT be buying anymore!" Don't give in! Maybe save the last few for nights! But I have found that if there are not diapers, there are no reasons to get fed up, put a diaper on them, and fail! It has worked for me three times now, so perhaps it will for you! Good luck! It will all work out for the best!
    IWantLotsOfKids

Answer by IWantLotsOfKids at 5:48 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Take her to the bathroom when you go. Show her what she is suppost to do. When you sit down sit her down on her potty chair. That is what I did with my oldest dd and she was fully potty trained even at nights at the age of 19 months. Also limit her liquids after a certain time and have her sit on the potty right before bed time. This might help with her not going to the bathroom in her pants in the middle of the night. I also agree about the diapers once they are all gone say good bye to them. Good luck!
    momofthree28

Answer by momofthree28 at 9:58 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree with taking her with you to the potty and letting her know that it is normal and something that "the big girls do"..........however, I would not actually be putting her on the potty or doing the 30 minute runs all day trying to catch her needing to go. In my opinion, this approach is frustrating to both you and your kiddo if she isn't ready. Signs of readiness are when she wakes up dry, when she goes 3 hours or so between wet diapers during the day, and some kiddos even have bowel movements pretty predictable.
    Once you see signs she is ready, then start taking her in. Give her no or very little reaction when she wets her pants. But HUGE reaction if she goes on the potty. My girls had special panties. They did NOT pee on Tinkerbell, or else they had to wear boring white underwear the rest of the day.
    Best of luck. It is a huge milestone!!
    Foster_Mom

Answer by Foster_Mom at 10:59 PM on May. 17, 2009