If she's in the 25% range....

IF she is in the 25% range on her height...is she short or tall for her age?

rowdy24

Asked by rowdy24 at 4:22 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • It means that over the course of many years, they weighed & measured thousands of children & developed these charts. If you were to line up these children all at the exact same time, your child would be on the short side of the average. The tallest children would be in the 100th percentile & down from there. Remember that these charts are just averages. Many children track on the high or low side of the chart their entire life while others will have growth spurts so they will be on the short side one checkup & then on the tall side the next. As long as your child shows continued growth, they are normal.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:21 PM on May. 17, 2009

• i think 50 % is mid for that so maybe short? idk how tall and how old?
    my daughter is 3 weeks almost 4 weeks and is 21 inches she is tall
    my son is 5 years old and is 4 ft7 he is tall
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:23 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't know, I haven't paid attention to that stuff in years! I've never cared wether my kids were "normal" height or weight wise. If they're healthy we'll know and if they aren't we'll know that too.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 4:24 PM on May. 17, 2009

• It may mean a little short but it's nothing to be concerned about, really.

My 3 y/o was always in the 5th percentile for height and the 95th for weight until he was about 2... now he's evening out and doing great - he's about 65th on both now.

My 3 month old daughter has been 5th-10th for height and weight each time they've charted her but she IS small and it's ok :) She'll probably be in a higher weight percentile when she goes back but it's all good :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 4:25 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Short. My 1 year old is 95% percentile for height and 25% percentile for weight. She's tall and petite.
    StefMc07

Answer by StefMc07 at 4:57 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Taller than 25% of kids her age, shorter than 75% so a bit smaller than average but not abnormal. Really no cause for concern at all until you get in to the top or bottom 5%.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:21 PM on May. 17, 2009

• The 25th percentile means that she is taller than 25% of the kids her age. It works the same for any "percentiles" you see.

The 50th percentile is usually considered "average".

Her percentile doesn't mean anything, really. It just gives the doctor an idea of where her growth curve would be so he can watch her if she suddenly drops or goes up quite a few percentiles.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:38 PM on May. 17, 2009

• 25% means that 75% of the children her age are taller then her. It doesn't matter where she is at exactly it is more so the doctors can follow her curve as she gets older. My doctor said he wanted my kids height and weight to stay within plus or minus 10% of where they were born. For my first that was 7% weight and 92% height. For my second it was 48% weight and 54% height.
    Anonymous