Anyone been to DisneyWorld in Florida with young children? Did you stay on or off Disney property? Tell me good and bad about both sides.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Travel

• I haven't gotten to go yet, but live in SW FL and know a lot of people who have been. Most of the families I talk to stay at the cheaper hotels because who's actually going to be staying in them anyways for to long and they are all awesome wether they cost you $80 a night or $200. They've usually gotten the dining meal, but a few have told me AWESOME ideas of bringing their own mini-fridge and stocking food too lol.
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 4:32 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Our youngest was 4 and it was too much for him. Too much excitement, too much new stuff- different bed, different food, too many people, too much to see and do. The 7 year old did better. We stayed off site when the kids were little, but I'd recommend staying on site because it is easy to just go back to your room and rest for a while. And there are pools there the kids can relax in, too. We actually have more fun just the two of us as adults than we did with the children, because the kids were overwhelmed, especially the younger one. Maybe if we could have stayed as long as a week they would have gotten more used to the noise and activity.

Answer by Bmat at 4:51 PM on May. 17, 2009

• we always went when the kids were younger in february. The prices were lower and the park hours are shorter and so are the lines. and we stayed on site. Both value and Moderate resorts. I would NOT stay off site.(IMO) see www.allearsnet.com for lots of tips! There is a Disney group here too!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:39 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Been six times in last four years. Message me if you want more info than I post. Best to stay in ValueResort if $ is a factor. On site allows extra hours in parks, easy travel to and from parks (perfect for nappers), great pools that are heated and lifeguards plus kiddie pools and flotation devices for little ones, restaraunts at all resorts have lots of selections and offer kid friendly options. My kids were 4 and 6 our first visit. Plan to go in during off season for less crowds, less lines and more rides. Go to the disney web site and check out everything they have. Use caution when hotels claim to offer shuttle services to and from parks. Some have an am drop off and pm pick up only, if you choose off property make sure you can get back to your room if necessary. Plan your dining way in advance whether you are on property or off for character meals. Some are very hard to get a table for.
    haston

Answer by haston at 10:45 PM on May. 17, 2009