What can I do to help put some weight on my 7 year old?

My 6 year old cant stop eating and my 7 year old doesnt seem to be eating enough. How can I put some weight on him? he is a very active child and just seems to thin to me - 50 lbs are there any tricks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on May. 17, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is the Dr. concerned? If there are not health concerns, leave your 7 year old alone and let him eat as much or as little as he likes.

My very tall 7 1/2 yr old is barely 50 lbs. Is he skinny? Yes! Is he healthy and active? Yes!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:36 PM on May. 17, 2009

• If he has normal energy and eats a wide range of healthy foods, he may just be thin.
    You can certainly give him nutritious, calorie packed foods: whole grain bread with nut butters; smoothies with frozen fruits, yogurt, nutbutter and kale; avocado; whole grain pancakes with fruit and maple or agave syrup; etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:40 PM on May. 17, 2009

• pediasure?
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 5:03 PM on May. 17, 2009

• well i'd talk to a doctor but if he ain't sick. i am sure hes fine
    EricaMarieElli

Answer by EricaMarieElli at 7:46 PM on May. 17, 2009

• mKE THE ONE THAT EATS ALOT SHARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Anonymous

• icecreamlollipopmuffinturkey dinner Make him eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!

otterkiki

Answer by otterkiki at 7:49 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My 9yo only weighs 50 lbs and is 4 1/2 feet tall...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 12:06 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My 5 yr. old is the same way. He is very busy and eats healthy but small amounts. I let him grave like a toddler, but on healthy snacks( cheese sticks, granola bars, etc.) If your lil one likes milk, my other trick is to mix the Carnation instant breakfast powder in it. It's like a whole meal with vitiams and protein. He just thinks it's Nesquik. It is alot less $$$ than the pedisure drinks. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on May. 18, 2009

• First I would look at your family -- is your family petite in general?? Second is he one any medication that can be an appetite supressant or be burning calories fast? Third is he simply a picky eater? Fourth have your doctor chart his weight and height and he can tell you if he's off the chart as far as what is a normal height and weight. Also they should have been tracking since birth and can tell you if he's off his arc -- they should stay on basically the same arc they're whole life --

My husband's family is very petite so we are not expecting our kids to be giants -- My little guy just turned 6 and he is 45 pounds and looks similar to most of the kids in his class -- he was 25th percentile in weight and 50th percentile in height I believe (it may have been reversed but i think that was right)
    My daughter just turned 8 and she is around 53 or 55 pounds. The doctor is not concerned because they are still on the same arc
    ajcMOMania

Answer by ajcMOMania at 10:12 AM on May. 18, 2009

• By the way I host a mom community in Atlanta -- there are a lot of older moms on the site who offer really good advice on stuff like this -- check it out at blogs.ajc.com/momania
    ajcMOMania

Answer by ajcMOMania at 10:13 AM on May. 18, 2009