what was the worst breastfeeding advice you ever got?

katiemum

Asked by katiemum at 5:16 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That when they reach X age, your milk is no longer of value. It's constantly evolving and changing as your baby grows. A certain month doesn't mean you have to quit.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:47 PM on May. 17, 2009

• to stop breastfeeding when I got a clogged milk duct and mestatis (sp?, breast infection). I didn't listen of course. and it was from a doctor tooo (e had no ideahat he was talking about.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:25 PM on May. 17, 2009

• That my nipples were inverted & I couldn't nurse without using these special cups to stretch them out. They weren't, the nurse was just not a supporter of breastfeeding & didn't want to help a young mother.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:32 PM on May. 17, 2009

• That if I gave a pacifier before the baby was 6 weeks old, my milk would dry up. And that was from a LLL rep!
    Anonymous

• That giving a pacifier wouldn't interfere with breastfeeding.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:03 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't take breastfeeding advice from anyone who hasn't breastfed at least as long as I want to, either.
    apexmommy

• To nurse for 10 minutes on one side and then switch to the other side. I ended up with a huge oversupply of milk because I was told that "you have to offer both breasts at every feeding". Only later did I learn that it depends on mom and baby, and that you nurse them as long as they like on the first breast and they may be full after that.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:06 PM on May. 17, 2009

• The 10 minute rule someone else mentioned and that I should stop at 6 months old!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:25 PM on May. 17, 2009

• That its ok to give formula now and then(old pediatrician), that Rota virus can be passed through breastmilk(from my old pediatrician-not true), that its safer the give formula than use fenugreek to raise supply (WIC), a BF baby needs 6 oz bottles every 3 hours(daycare)...oh and NIP is inappropriate and unprofessional on a work break in a public place(my boss-though smokers can smoke on their breaks and its fine)
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:36 PM on May. 17, 2009

• That if breastfeeding hurts it means the baby isn't latched correctly. That your body naturally makes enough milk for your baby. That breastfeeding creates a closer bond.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:49 PM on May. 17, 2009