what was the BEST breastfeedig advice you ever got?

katiemum

Asked by katiemum at 5:16 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That babies aren't born knowing how to nurse and mom's aren't just suddenly breast feeding pros - it takes work and you CAN do it - relax and just keep trying.

We had a rough start and after she and I learned HOW to do it, we were on track and I loved it!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 5:52 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Froom the le leche leader when I had my first baby: she told me the end result is to have a healthy baby not matter bottle or breast and no matter how baby is born.
    Anonymous

• I had sooo much good advice, but the first that comes to mind was to nurse on demand as long as the child wanted...... childled nursing :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:19 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Nurse in front of a mirror at least once. That way you can see exactly what other people will see & know how/where to drape a blanket. And wear a shirt that lifts up from the bottom rather than un-buttons from the top as you show less skin that way. The other tip that really helped me with my son (who was born in August when it was super hot) was to put just a few drops of water on my nipple before getting him latched on. It wet his mouth just a little bit & helped him get going right at first. You could also express a few drops of milk before baby gets on the breast.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 5:31 PM on May. 17, 2009

• When the lactation consultant told me to give formula because as miserable as I was, I wasn't doing my son any favors. I switched to formula, finally WANTED to be around him and he stopped being so fussy all the time.
    Anonymous

• Keep trying and relax.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 5:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Don't set yourself up for failure. I had no formula, no bottles (only the Playtex drop in liners to pump into-in the future) no pacifier. It was me, baby & Daddy figuring it out. I had no other option than to succeed. I also didn't bother charting all those diapers & minutes feeding. He ate frequently, was content & I was always changing diapers.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 5:46 PM on May. 17, 2009

• "watch your baby not the clock" Your baby will tell you when they are finished with one breast and if they need the second breast. You baby knows how frequently they need to feed., it doesn't matter how long it has been since the last feeding.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:02 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Breastfeeding is natural but it doesn't come naturally. Your baby didn't read the same book you did.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:04 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Take brewers yeast tabs; after a few bumpy weeks, I had enough milk for ten babies

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 PM on May. 17, 2009