How do I get my puppy to like water?

Me and my family just got a new puppy and want her to enjoy playing in the water. We go to the lake a beach a lot so I want to get her interested but how?

luvnmybabies05

Asked by luvnmybabies05 at 5:32 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Pets

• How little is your puppy? When my dog was a puppy, I would bring her into the bath tub with me. Just so that she would get used to the water and not fight me during baths. It worked, she loves baths.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:40 PM on May. 17, 2009

• We had a small plastic swimming pool for our youngest child, and put some water in. Then we gently put the puppy in my daughter's lap in the pool. At first he'd jump out as quick as he got in. Then, when he got to be a month or so older, we couldn't keep him out of the water!! He loves it!!!
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 6:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• We have a Lab and she LOVES water. We introduced her to water when she was still a little pup. We have a pond in our yard, and we would take her to the pond a daily. She loves to fetch sticks, and we started throwing the sticks in the water. It took her a while to get used to it, but now we can't keep her out of the water.
    What kind of dog do you have? Some breeds just don't like water!
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:49 PM on May. 17, 2009

• The difference comes down to what type of dog it is. Some dogs such as labs love the water. Others more like terriers not so much. Always make water a fun thing. Something for them to look forward to...treats, fun attention.
    T45

Answer by T45 at 10:38 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Some will like water, some won't. DON'T force her. Also, how old is she? You don't want to take your puppy ANYWHERE until she's been fully vaccinated (at least three DHLPPC vaccines, bordatella, and Rabies...and if you're going to be going to lakes, etc...she should also receive two Giardia and two Lyme vaccines before you take her anywhere).

Try setting up a small plastic wading pool in your backyard, and taking things from there. I have a maltipoo that LOVES water, and a Lab mix that's terrified of it. So it just depends on the dog, lol.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 2:41 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My dog HATED water when he was a puppy. We continued to bring him around water even though he didn't like it. We never forced him into the water. One time we tried bringing him tubing down the river and he wouldn't even get out of the truck, so someone brought him back home. The second time, he walked to the river, and got into the boat, then jumped out as soon as we pushed the boat into the river. The third time he was around water was at a friends house for a party and she had two ponds on her property. He chased ducks straight into the pond and since then we could let him play in the ponds and rivers and he went tubing with us. Then we couldn't get him out of the river. LOL! He still hates gettin a bath, BUT he loves going swimming.
    My suggestion: take your puppy to the water as much as possible, only a matter of time before he/she falls in love with it.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 1:33 PM on May. 21, 2009