Colicy Babies??

My son is a month old and he is not colicy. What causes colicy babies? and can he become colicy?? * KNOCK ON WOOD *

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 5:41 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Colic can some times be figured out by finally doing food/drink withdrawals if your breastfeeding. It has many reasons for exisiting that because baby can't explain we're stuck as moms for months and sometimes longer trying to soothe our babies. Gas and inability to expel it is absolutely part of colic. Colic is not knowing fast within a few days to a month or longer why our babies are unconsolably cranky and frustrated themselves. Sometimes it's only at night other times it's day or night. It's happens no matter what. Colic is not having a fever or virus, it's not having an infection.

Anonymous

• just things like gas or being sick , not really anyting you can prevent ..
    oh and BTW YOUR LUCKY!!!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Being sick or being gassy is NOT the same as having colic. No one knows what causes colic.

Colic is when babies cry for hours and are can't be calmed, quieted or anything. There seems to be no reason for their crying. They are not gassy, they are not sick, they are not wet, not hungry, not dirty, not cold, etc. They just cry.
    Anonymous

• Collic is something to describe how the baby is acting- it isn't a diagnosis. My baby was acting collicy because of horrible gas pains and stomach/inside pains from my diet (I'm BFing). When I cut out dairy, soy, and peanuts, she got better. And I got gripe water... omg, I would buy that by the gallon if I could. It's so hard to cut out absolutely ALL allergens. Her intestines are maturing some though (she's 7 wks) and I can eat foods that contain soy or milk, but I'm avoiding soymilk, regular milk, butter, cheese, etc., for a little longer.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 7:24 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Colic definitely has to do with gas.It isn't just gas but it is part of it. What we did when my nephew was colicky was to swaddle him in a blanket with his knees tucked up and either walk with him or rock him. A really good way to see if your baby is gassy is to lay the baby over your knees or just flat on their tummies and rub in a circular motion on the middle of the back, if they squirm around and act irritable then they are gassy. The best way to help that is to do the above also. About 20 mins or so they should get some relief. Or you can just buy some infant mylicon, and that should do the trick and it works faster. So swaddle with colic and Mylicon with gas. Good luck to you and your little one.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 7:30 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't really care for the term colic or colicky but my son wanted to be held a lot and nursed a lot, was not easily soothed without being in my arms. It was just the way he was born- crying. I held him a lot and he is great now (4) and very independent. My 2nd baby, my daughter (3) didn't even cry when she was born! And she was a very easy going baby. Now she's had her tantrums NOW but as a baby, and as a whole, she is very easy. Just gets upset with her brother and knocks him one on occasion!

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:55 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't know, but my son had colic and there was no soothing him when he was a baby. Lasted about 2 months and I lost so much weight because I didn't eat or sleep either. It sucked. Hoping that this next baby doesn't have it!
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 8:17 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think colic can present itself within the first 3 months...but I'm not sure on that one. And I'm pretty sure there isn't a "known cause" for it. They just cry, for no real reason.
    My son didn't have it (thank you god!). He did have a few nights where he just cried for like 2 hours straight, NOTHING would comfort him...and I really feel for Mom's with colicky babies! That is EXHAUSTING!
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 9:15 PM on May. 17, 2009