To go along with Sabrina's question : )

What do you think about this family that is being forced to give their son chemotherapy even though they would rather use alternative medicine/therapy to treat him?

"It marginalizes the decisions that parents face every day in regard to their children's medical care. It really affirms the role that big government is better at making our decisions for us."-- family attorney

Should the gov't have the right to tell you how to take care of your kid?

Link to follow

Cinnamon-mom

Asked by Cinnamon-mom at 6:44 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:45 PM on May. 17, 2009

• As much as I want to agree with the courts, it is such a slippery slope. Right now it is just life and death cases, but what about when they mandate vaccines or other medications? What if they start requiring hyper kids to be put on medication when you want to deal with it naturally?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:48 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Well, in this case I am all for it. I have read the aritcle and think maybe the family is trying to use the "holisitc" path as more of an excuse and way to hide behind fear. If the parents had actually continued with the treatment after the first one, the tumor would probably already be gone and this whole debate wouldn't even be happening.
    With that said, I do not think the government should be allowed to make decisions about how we raise our children in their every day lives. The court is intervening in this case to try to PROLONG this childs life, not to tell the parents they can't raise him the way they want to. And he you looked at the man who started their "religion?" I suggest you do. He may not seem as "holy" as people seem to think he is.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:11 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I am never for it! Not in this case or any other. If it were me with the cancer I surely would refuse chemo. I don't know what I would do if it were my child. But the fact is that cancer is a natural cause of death. If these parents were hurting their child I could see the courts steping in, but in this case they are only allowing nature to take it's course. I don't think it's the courts right to tell me I have to step in and defy nature. And if they can do this then why not tell us exactly what we can give our kids... they will eventually have the ability to mandate everything from unneeded vaccines to cold pills. The point is that as the parents of a child you are given the right to make the medical disisions in that childs case. There is no law that says you have to do what the doctor says. Or that you have to make any one health disition. It's up to you, and it should be! Next they will be steping in on life suport cases

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:23 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Good point Sabrina!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:31 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think the boy should be given all the facts and make his own decision, if he is mentally competent to do so.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:15 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I just can't believe that the court has mandated it. The thing is, they aren't refusing to treat him they are just choosing an alternative treatment. There has been a lot of progress in natural alternatives to chemo.

I agree that it is scary when the gov't overides the parents in a health issue. I know this one is life and death, but it is up to the family not the gov't. They believe strongly in what they are doing.

Anyways, I really hope things turn out well for them.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 12:43 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree with Sabrina and Beeky. I think that the government needs to stay the hell out of people's lives unless the parents are being abusive or something like that and I think that if the kid is mentally able to understand everything and make his own decision, he should be allowed to.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:57 AM on May. 18, 2009

• On general principle, I think the parents should have a right to refuse treatments.
    BUT, when reading the article, the parents IMO, are not basing their decision on common sense OR a strongly held religious belief. To me they seem uneducated and out of touch with reality.

The boy is 13 and can't read or even admit that he has a tumor (with proof right in front of all of them). And the family states they believe he is an "elder" and "faith healer" even though he has never performed any healings or even been involved in any rituals (as far as the articles stated). And I find it highly ignorant that they went through one treatment with positive results and still decided to "try" alternative methods.
    Its not like this kid has had an on-going struggle with the chemo porcess or this is a reoccuring tumor, etc. Also, they still rely on modern medicine for other illnesses, so its not like its the technology..
    I'm w/the judge..
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:51 PM on May. 18, 2009