Why do SAHMs continue to SAH when children are in school?

I am not knocking SAHMs. I am just curious. WHen your children are in school from 9am-3pm, why do you continue to stay at home? When children get this age isn't a part-time job appropriate? WHen you kids are in school that long what can you possibly do during the day?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think its kind of silly too, but that is only cause I am the type of person that hates havin nothing to do, and als hate having people provide for me even if it is my husband. Some people find things to do and don't get bored. I would spend waaaaayyy too much money if I was home all day w/ out any children
    LainysMommy

Answer by LainysMommy at 7:13 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Well my first thought is why does it matter?
    Perhaps the job she can find isnt going to really be worth the aggravation the job would bring along with the paycheck? Perhaps they are well enough off its not necessary? Perhaps the mom just likes being home to tend to things and be there if her kids need to leave school early for some reason instead of having to tell the boss she has to leave and hope they understand?

At the rate things are going in the country by the time I will look for parttime work there probably wont be any jobs left for me to have that will pay anything worthwhile.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:02 PM on May. 17, 2009

• well i dont have any kids in school yet ,but what the hell it sounds like you are knocking stay at home moms! dont you know for the first say untill they are in school we have a 24/7 job no break at all so maybe when they finally get in school it will be out break time like every other worker gets! i have a 4-3-9mnth old i have no break look they are all right here screaming
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 7:03 PM on May. 17, 2009

• How is she knocking SAHMs? She's just curious. A little defensive, huh?

Anonymous

• Well I think u should mind ur business!! Its a choice between the wife and the husband!
    Anonymous

• Wow, defensive much? Lol I am just curious. A 12 year break? I don't get that at work
    Anonymous

• I had a part time job before kids and I couldn't keep up with the house, errands, a meals. Maybe I am not very diligent, but if my kids were all in school I would find a TON to keep me busy. We don't have a lot of money so all housework, repairs, maintaining, yardwork-that is all done by us as much as possible. I would also be a lot more involved at church-visiting shut ins and people in the hospital, helping young or new mothers, Bible Studies. Wow-my mom has always stayed home and she has no children now. She is SO busy with the house, yard, tutoring, taking care of her mom . . . I think working moms miss out on a ton of stuff bot even related to their kids, because they don't have a lot of time left after work abd caring for family!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:12 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Well I'm not there yet, but my neighbors who are sahms of school age kids seem to use that time to take care of errands, household chores, working out, some volunteering, and pursuing hobbies, so that when their children come home from school, they are free to tend to them.
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 7:14 PM on May. 17, 2009

• wouldn't not demanding that other people justify their life choices to you be appropriate? not everyone's kids go to school.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:40 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Availability!
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 7:45 PM on May. 17, 2009