Are you mean to telemarketers?

I was just sooo mean to a telemarketer. The same company called me at 8:45 the other night and I told the guy off and demanded to be taken off the list. They just called again and I was very rude to this guy too. He ended the converasion by telling me he's new and it actually sounded like I upset him. Now I feel guilty!
Do you feel bad if you're rude to them?

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 6:59 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I usually don't answer them. But I was a telemarketer for a short time & I hated my job, so I didn't care if anyone was rude to me or not...I actually found it humorous. But I sometimes like to mess w/ telemarketers.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 7:16 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I am on the no call list. They are breaking a law when they call here and usually wake my son. I am less than happy with them and it most likely shows.
    Anonymous

• no. My sister was a telemarkter. She hated her job but needed money somehow. . i figure they have to work too just like us. . now if they are rude to me then thats different but if they are being profession & just doing their job. . no.
    ColtsFan1912

Answer by ColtsFan1912 at 7:10 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I just hang up or don't answer the phone but sometime they can call at the darnedest hours.

lilmama29113

Answer by lilmama29113 at 7:13 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Yes because the mothersuckers always get my damn name wrong and can't speak a lick of english.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 7:15 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I try not to answer, but if I do I am never mean. They are so the low man on that totem pole! I worked telemarketing when I was trying to pay my way through college - it was the highest paying job I could get (a whopping $7 an hour) and it was hell. They move their call centers into economically depressed areas, and offer just slightly more than minimum wage - it's pretty darn manipulative. The job is basically getting yelled at by random people 8 hours a day, which you'd think you'd be prepared for, but after a couple weeks of it you feel like you're drowning. You get one person who is kind to you (even if they say no) and it is like a breath of air. I make it a point to always try to be one of the nice ones... I've never, ever said yes to a telemarketer, and never will, but yelling at a single mom who took a craptastic job trying to stay off welfare doesn't change anything. I'm always polite and considerate. They are people.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:41 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Treat others as you want to be treated!

They are doing their job. Be kind and say that you are not interested and to please take your number off their list.

Anonymous

• I am very rude to them. The worst ones are when the phone rings and you get a recording saying they don't have time to talk to you right now, hold. I find telemarketing calls very insulting. It's as if they are saying, "I know you are too stupid to find this service if you need it so I have to call you." I am very well aware of finding any service I need without some idiot calling me, so they get quite a tune up and are not allowed to say a word.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 7:53 PM on May. 17, 2009

• They are just doing their job. I usually just don't answer, but if I do manage to somehow answer a telemarketer call, I just say "No thank you, I'm not interested." and then hang up.

I have, however, started getting very rude with the bill collectors who keep calling for some woman who used to have my phone number. I've had this number for over a year now and the same company still calls for this woman even though I have told them over and over it's the wrong number.
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 5:26 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I'm not rude, just tactful. I tell them to please take my phone number off their call list and to not call my home again before I hang up. When soliciters for charities call I tell them the same thing and also let them know that I prefer to send my donations directly to the charities of my choice so that they get 100% of my money instead of sending my money through a third party company that takes a piece of it, which is what the company that calls does.
    When explained in a direct and tactful manner, it places you in control without sounding psycho or a pushover.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:57 PM on May. 18, 2009