sorry this is gross and not about baby

I gave birth 2wks ago and have a bad smell to my blood.I have a dr. appoint. tuesday.I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else and what was the cause of it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You probably have an infection. That can sometimes happen after birth. I had one & I was given antibiotics.
    Anonymous

• your body is just cleaning its self out..I wouldnt even worry about it! As long as there is no abnormal pain I dont think there is anything to worry about. If anything I would call and talk to your doctor and ask him over the phone...Im not too sure if they will even do anything for you in the office since you are bleeding. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:16 PM on May. 17, 2009

• It could be an infection or it could just be that nasty after-birth lochia smell. I had it, and a lot of other women in my birth group had it as well. Ack, I still remember it, it was so horrible! But it'll be good to mention to your doctor just in case anyway.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:16 PM on May. 17, 2009

• If it smells really bad then it could be an infection. If it smells like normal menstrual discharge only stronger than you should be fine to wait and talk to your dr on tuesday. Do make sure to mention it though at your appointment.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 7:25 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Most of the time it's not an infection. I didn't have an infection and man I will never forget that smell.
    I swear it smelled like road kill but it cleared up after I completely quit bleeding which was a little over 2 weeks PP. Sorry for the TMI but that's what it reminded me of.
    Anonymous

• Are you having your period already? I didn't have mine so soon. I would call the nurse on duty so she can mark it in your file and tell you whether you can wait until the visit scheduled.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:53 PM on May. 17, 2009

• It depends on what "bad" means. Is it an earthy smell? Has it smelled the same since you gave birth, or soon after? If so, it may just be the lochia, which a pp mentioned. I didn't find it offensive - just different - but others do think of it as a "bad" smell. If that's it, it's perfectly normal. On the other hand, if you are smelling something new, and it is not just the earthy smell but some other bad smell, especially if it is strong, yes it could be a sign of infection and I would call a doctor right away.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 8:46 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I would ask your doctor. But I did notice that when my after-birth was coming out in clumps, it smelled like rotten garbage. (it was sooooo gross! I couldn't stand it.) But my doctors had their faces down there almost every 3 days, because I kept pulling stitches, and they never said I had an infection. The smell of the after-birth (I think someone called it lochia) makes me want to throw up, but it has to come out some way. It would be wise to ask your doctor though.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:03 PM on May. 17, 2009