Polytheists

Do you believe you can pray to any god or goddess, even if it is not one you have a relationship with or connection to? For instance, if someone who worships another god asks for prayers, do you feel that if you pray to their god on their behalf, that that god hears? Or would you respond to their request for prayer in another way - praying to the deity/ies that you have a relationship with, or something not involving prayer at all?

Just curious!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 7:24 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a hard polytheists too and I agree with Sabrina. For me my strongest connection is with my Patron deities rather than ancestral Gods. I don't feel that anyone is restricted from calling on all the Gods even if they don't believe or worship them. The Gods will hear but they still don't have to grant those prayers. But they do hear them.

Often when I've been asked to pray to Gods that I don't normally communicate with, I pray to those first with an apology for not knowing the noms of that God then following with the request and then I pray to my Gods for the same person. If its really important I'll address all the Gods and ask them to help, each according to their will.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 3:33 PM on May. 19, 2009

• When somebody asks me to pray for them, I keep them in my thoughts and am sure to pass along the request to other people I know who are religious. By doing that, I feel I have fulfilled their prayer request.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 7:30 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Personally I speak to a universal God and Goddess.  I believe all Gods and Goddesses are a representation of different aspects of the God and Goddess....

so, yes, if someone wanted me to pray to Brigid I would and I know I would be heard because they are all one...

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:36 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I hope that makes sense........lol It's been a llllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg day.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:37 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Makes sense to me anetrnlov. I don't think I've ever used specific names simply because there are so many. Say you want to pray to a fertility goddess. There must be several dozen fertility goddesses in different cultures but I figure that not only are they all the same but also that they're all aspects of one universal power.

If I'm asking something specific then I'd address a deity type so to speak e.g. when praying for a new baby I'd pray to the fertility goddess but not use a name. Honestly I've never felt the need for labels. I rarely use names for the mortals in my life either for some reason.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I am a hard polythiest, I believe that the connection we hold with the gods of our ancestors are the strongest bonds but that all gods had a hand in developing our world, and therefore we have a connection to them all... So just because I don't have constant active relationship with one or another, I know that I still have a connection to them and can call on them when need be...

It's like the difference between your mother and your aunt. You may not talk with your aunt as much as your mom but you are still family and she will always be there for you.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:54 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I believe all gods are ONE GOD; all goddesses, ONE GODDESS. The names were created by humans...but it's all the same energies.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:12 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I'll send them good thoughts, but it just doesn't work that way. I don't pray "for" things.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I haven't had this happen since I became a Pagan. I'm not sure what I would do, since I think I am only now discovering the God and Goddess that seem fitting for me (Matron Goddess, Patron God). I think that I would NOT pray to their God, though, since it wouldn't feel right to me. I think I would find a God or Goddess in my chosen pantheon (or just the one that calls to me the most for the purpose of the prayer) and pray to the one that seemed the most fitting for the situation. Good question.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:42 AM on May. 18, 2009

• To me all Gods are one, just different facets of the same God. So, yes, I can attend church and pray in my own way and know that my good vibes are being sent out.
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 10:33 PM on May. 18, 2009