Is there a way to pick out a good watermelon??

I seem to pick all the bad one 's lately from the stores?? Any ideas?? :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:32 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Aren't you supposed to knock on it? idk I hate watermelon but my kids love it. I just grab one and continue on.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:35 PM on May. 17, 2009

• hmm knock and listen for what?? I know with cantalopes u smell them!!!
    Anonymous

• According to Alton Brown of the show Good Eats...here is a link to what he says..and I agree.

http://www.hungrymonster.com/FoodFacts/Food_Facts.cfm?Phrase_vch=Watermelons&fid=6059

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:06 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I look for a cream colored section on the skin where the melon sat on the ground.

Answer by Bmat at 8:12 PM on May. 17, 2009

• in order to tell if its ripe the bottom should be a slightly different color.
    Anonymous

• I wait to buy until they're in season in my area. Nice dark color, with a lighter shade that touched the ground. If you thump it, you want to hear a nice deep thump is all--like it sounds full and juicy not dried out.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:53 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Wow, between GrnEyedGrandma's helpful link and RugersMommy06's suggestions, I really learned a lot!
    I tend to buy the cut watermellons because I don't know how to buy a whole one. Now that I do, I am going to put my newfound skills to test. I'm so excited! Thank you ladies!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:38 PM on May. 18, 2009