Will you Make your child go to college or push them to if you know they don't want to?

LainysMommy

Asked by LainysMommy at 7:38 PM on May. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• I'll talk to him about the importance of having a college education and degree.
    Anonymous

• I have two kids in college and one in hs, one of the older two is just about done and actually is about to receive a second Bachelor's Degree. My middle goes to a local community college. I make my kids go to at least a community college for the college life experience. My hs one will also go to college. We can afford it with loans and financial aid although it is tough, very very tough. But if they don't go now it's hard to adjust to classes once a family is started or a job is started that's not the best. Community colleges are great places with many many choices of degrees and certificates plus they are reasonably priced and it's very easy to get those classes transferred to four year colleges.
    Anonymous

• If you force a person to go to college your money will be wasted and they will fail out the first year. College is hard and you have to want the education in order to succeed. My kids know I feel college or at least having training in a specific area is very important . My daughter did not do great in high school and worked different jobs for a while afterwards. Then she decided to go to college and just graduated with her 4 year degree. It was best for her to see what jobs were out there and what her quality of life would be like without a degree.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 7:47 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My daughter has been going to my college with me since she was conceived, lol.

I would hope that she'd see how hard I've been struggling to get a college education, and would look at the professions I and other family members have pursued (both those with degrees and those without) and make and informed decision about what's best for her.

In the long run, it is not my decision at all whether she goes to college. If she didn't go, I suppose it would save us both a lot of money in tuition and books, but it could cause her to spend her live slaving away in a menial manual labor job for a corporate machine. Then again, there are people who never go to college and still achieve their dreams in life. Just look at all these musicians and actors...
    LunasMama

Answer by LunasMama at 7:48 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Nope. If they want to go that's fine, if they don't want to, no big deal.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:13 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think that you can't force anything on anybody. I think that you had many years to emphasize the importance of a higher education while children were growing up. If they deviate of your ideal timing for them to attend college, give them a year or two seeing the kind of pay they can get without a degree and if they are smart, they will get back on track with their education. It is better to get the degree right after high school but if they don't want to, there is no way you can reinforce it even if it is for their own good.

The only thing I can think of is either you go to college and get good grades and a good education or you get a job so you realize what the rest of your life will be like without a degree.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:16 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Nope.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:47 PM on May. 17, 2009

• From the time they were little we treated college as a normal part of life. It wasn't if they were going to college, it was that they were going to college. We also started saving from the day they were born by having deductions made from the paychecks directly into special accounts for them. And any money that we received as gifts until they were in college, and any money they received as gifts until they became teens,  went into the college fund. We saved enough for them to go to college without needing to take out loans,  so this may well have encouraged college. In the end, however, we knew that if they showed no apptitude for college that we'd make sure they got training in whatever field they chose.

Answer by Bmat at 8:57 PM on May. 17, 2009

• No. I will lead by example. I am college educated and so is my husband. We continue to go to school to further our education. Our child (and future children) will be around to see us write papers, do research, and juggle schedules. The proof that we value education is in our actions. I don't want to stress over whether or not my child will go to collge. If my child came to me and said that collge is not what he thinks is best for him then I will be supportive. That doesn't mean that I will necessarily support him financially. We do have a fund we are saving and putting aside for him. We do not call it a college fund. It is a LIFE fund. This means that it will be up to him to decide his future. It is up to his parents to live their lives by example and most importantly instill that his happiness and well being is more important than any other issue that comes up. In the mean time we make his educational choices.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:28 PM on May. 17, 2009

• i will not force my daughter to go to college, but im also not gonna let her sit around and be a bum..if shes not in school, she must have a job
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:03 PM on May. 17, 2009