If you are terminal...

...would you want to continue treatments you knew would only prolong life but would keep you sick or would you enjoy what time you had left?

What is more important - Quality or Quantity??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:57 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, that all depends, for me anyway. If my children are grown, then I would want quality. If they were still young, i would do everything I could to stick around as long as I could for them. But, that's just me.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:59 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Absolutely not. 

I am a nurse and have spent most of my career in nursing homes and have seen the torture that people with "full code" orders go through.  Many with absolutely no quality of life but their family keeps the full code status because of their own quilt, selfishness, fear, etc.

I NEVER want to be like that, nor so I want to see any of my family end up like that.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:59 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think life is about quality. Even if my kids were young I would rather they have happy memories of me than memories of me sick.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:00 PM on May. 17, 2009

• quality...I have seen quantity without quality and it's not how I would want to live.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:01 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I would enjoy the time I had left.
    Anonymous

• I think I would choose quality, but then the thought runs through my head, when do you say enough, how do you know that the next treatment won't work?
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:06 PM on May. 17, 2009

• right this second. quantity b/c i want to hear my DD say mommy & i want to see her walk. i know its selfish, i dont care.

if it was 5+ years from now, quality.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:10 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Quality takes precedence over quantity, however it depends on the circumstances.  My age, the type of cancer, the stage it is in, the part of the body affected and most importantly the predicted prognosis would all be important factors in my decision.  I would gather all the information that I can so that I can make the best informed decision for me and my family.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:23 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I just lost a friend to cancer. They gave her a year to live. She stayed on treatments until everything was in order and then stopped to live her life with her family the best way she could. I personally don't know what I would do but seeing how much of a fighter she was, it was a inspiration. She lived 3 years past her "time".
    Anonymous

• If I knew it really wasnt going to do any good, Id stop treatments and enjoy what time I had left.

Im not saying I wouldnt fight but I would be realistic about it too.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:09 PM on May. 17, 2009