Life Support?

If you were in a coma, and the docs say there is little to no chance you will wake up... Would you want to be placed of life support? and if so for how long? Would you place your child on life support?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:58 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No...I have seen it and I would not want to live that way nor watch my child live that way.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:02 PM on May. 17, 2009

• For myself...never, no invasive, life sustaining procedures for me. 

For my child...it would depend on what caused the coma and if I got the same opinion from a secondary source. I would likely allow it while I received second and third opinions but I would never allow it to continue for any length of time.  I do not want my children to suffer. 

Life is meant to be lived...it is not meant for a person to lay in a hospital bed with no knowledge of themselves, their condition or their surroundings.

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 8:03 PM on May. 17, 2009

• For myself no. I am a born again Christian and as such I believe death is just a passage, a transition into Gods presence. I would want any of my organs donated so that others could live and know the wonderful life I have had here, then let me go peacefully.

I am not 100% sure I could make that decision for my child. Sitting here in the comfort of my home listening to them play, my heart thinks I couldn't bear to say goodbye. Yet, I know they too are believers and share the same destany after their death as I do. So I really would be torn.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 8:04 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't believe in life support. I don't think it's any life. Again, for me the point of life is quality, if you are a potato, does it matter if your heart is beating?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:06 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Well, if there is greater then a 50% chance that I will wake up from more then one source, go ahead. But, if there is less then a 50% chance, let me go. And I have talked to my dh about this, so he knows my wishes. As for my kids. I don't think I can make that decision until I am in it.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:20 PM on May. 17, 2009

• If there is little to no chance of recovery, then no, let me go!  As hard as it would be, I would do the same for my husband and my children.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:24 PM on May. 17, 2009

• if it were me, and it wasn't likely i'd wake up than no i wouldn't want to be put on life support for an extended period of time ( i mean, yes get opinions and what not but i wouldn't want to stay on it for more than a week or two). my husband feels the same way.
    my child? i wouldn't want to see her attached to life support for an extended period of time, but would i be brave enough to say turn it off, i don't know
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:29 PM on May. 17, 2009

• No, and no.
    God would pull my children through if they are to live.
    I say this because I know for a fact if it is your time there is nothing that will stop you from dying, and if you are meant to live you will. God is stronger than all the medicine and machines in the world.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 8:35 PM on May. 17, 2009

• DH and I have already discussed this.
    No life support if there is no hope. If they wanna give me like a couple of weeks to see if something changes fine but he knows not to prolong it.

Id do the same for any of my children.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:10 PM on May. 17, 2009

• for myself no and for my child no i do not believe in it
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 9:19 PM on May. 17, 2009