Toddler very congested..horrible cough..HELP!

all started friday9AM..I came in her room that morning to get her up she had puked over her bed, then 15 min later over her daddy.(while i was getting dressed to take her to urgent care) She had a fever.. we got her to urgent care around 11am. They basically said it was viral (SUPRISE SUPRISE) But they tell us that EVERY time, then she ends up getting even worse. So they prescribed her something for the vommiting and it helped. But basically said virus nothing they could do.We gave her that med for vommiting that evening, then Saturday she started to act like she was feeling better i was thinking good it was one of those 24 hour things..so this morning I went in to get her and she had HORRIBLE Congestion runny nose..Even with her cool-mist humidifer. I cant believe a cough that bad could develope over night.So i called urgent care they said to try over-the counter meds. Im finding nothing but negitive reviews.ash is 22mo. help

misswhite

Asked by misswhite at 8:06 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hey girl. Collin had the same thing a few weeks ago. I went to walgreens and even for him he's 37 months they would recommend any over the counter med. Try vick's vapor rub on her chest at night and have her sleep elevated so the mucus doesn't doesn't drain back, that's why she is volmiting because of all the mucus that has drained into her throat. And push lots of liquids during the day to flush it out of her system. Hope she get's better soon. *hugs for you*
    collinsmommy_06

Answer by collinsmommy_06 at 8:41 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I would take her to your regular doctor tomorrow! I work in a pediatric office as a medical asst. and see this all the time, it might be viral but if she has a bad cough like that then it might be something else now. Maybe croup or bronch. She might need to be placed on breathing treatments of albuterol. I would get it checked out!

Also try benedryl for now, it helps dry up the congestion and the cough! good luck!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 8:11 PM on May. 17, 2009

• One tip I do which helps break up mucus is to lay my kids on my lap chest down, and make sure there is a shirt or sheet (no bare skin) and pat HARD their back with a cupped hand. My kids are used to it now and they know it means I am helping them break it up. I focus on the lung are and sometimes do the chest too, then encourage them to sleep on their side where it's easier to cough it up.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:18 PM on May. 17, 2009

• PS I don't suggest meds unless they are trying to sleep. But the body is coughing to get rid of something, don't stop it from doing its job. Lots of fluid and rest...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:19 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Thank u all so much for the answers.
    misswhite

Answer by misswhite at 11:00 PM on May. 17, 2009